Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I plugged in my laptop charger to the cigar lighter while…

HI Pearl, i plugged...

HI Pearl, i plugged in my laptop charger to the cigar lighter while driving yesterday, it worked for a little bit (not sure on time but it was not an instant failure). The power adapter lost power, the turn signals didnt work, the AC controller was not lit, the radio lost power. Parked and turned off car. When restarted the blower for the heater was on full, no dome or flashers worked, seat control power does not work but seat warmer does. GEM?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Once it happened its stayed in this condition, also now cant shift out of park. first time this has happened, not the the first time I have used the laptop charger.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2002 Expedition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

If I can. Test lamp on circuits to see what has power, the circuits for the cigar lighter, fuse is good but no power present on either side. same for several of the fuses, physically inspected all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of .

Answered in 1 day by:
4/4/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

That sounds like a GEM issue with all that you described.

If you look with a flashlight up and behind the GEM, are there signs of water that may have come down from the left, bottom of the windshield? These vehicles used to have a really bad problem of leaking there after a few years from poor placement and windshield sealer that was done at the factory.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

I had presumed the GEM, what is the test to prove the GEM is the issue, confirming inputs to the GEM are present, power at inputs, relays etc?

The aggravating part, there is no real test for the GEM besides connecting with the Ford IDS and running the test with it. It has a circuit board inside of it and that is why we look for water first because it is the leading cause for it to go bad. Second is alternator spikes and lightning strikes.

It will burn up and you start losing different accessories as the issue inside it gets worse like you described. That is common for when they go bad.

You can test for power in if you want on that large red wire on the plug, but for the rest, it will test with the IDS on the digital lines, the dk blue and the dk blue with light blue stripe. Otherwise, there just isn't any tests you can really do.

Ok thanks. Off to get a GEM unit and swap out.

FYI, it will need to be programmed. Let me know how it turns out.

Ok good point.

Sometimes people forget and plug it in, then get angry when it didn't work.

Jeremy

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Do you need more time to resolve the issue?