Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Intermittent start and run. When it does not start and run…

Customer Question
Intermittent start and run...

Intermittent start and run. When it does not start and run it throws DTC B1601

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Battery connections are clean and solid.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

06 f150

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far i have just checked on youtube and tested the fuse box and relays. (all good).

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Sometimes it starts and sometimes it does not. using my scan tool to clear the b1601 code, if it starts than no code shows up. If it does not start than DTC B1601 is set.

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Ford
4/3/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 23 days ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The common cause for this code to set is usually the PATs system not being able to read the key due to either a bad key or a problem with the Transceiver. Have you tried using your spare key when it does not want to start?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
es. When it does not start than niether key works.

Okay, that suggest the transceiver may be at fault if the key programming is okay.That being said B1681 sets on this vehicle by itself when the transceiver has failed and if the only code your getting is the B1601 then I would start with having both key checked to make sure the programming is just not corrupt.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
how do I check the keys?

Programming will need to be checked with a dealer scan tool or in some cases there are locksmiths that have the scanner to do this. You may want to call around in your area and see if there is a locksmith with the tools to do this. If not then you are going to need to see your dealer.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician