Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Dropped a new battery in backwards and

Customer Question
Dropped a new battery...

Dropped a new battery in backwards and shorted...something....the fuses in the two panels all look good, starter engine is firing but it is not turning over

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

Looked at both fuse panels, service tech at the dealership suggested it was the pcm

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

'95 ranger

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just looked the fuses, and just unbolted the pcm...can't see nay sign of shorted wires

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2018
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 3 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name isCustomerand I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

What size engine do you have?

I am not sure, it is my son's, I think it is a 4 cylinder

Thank you for that information. I just pulled the wiring diagram for this vehicle with a 4 cylinder engine and I dont see any fusible links. Only fuses. 9 times out of 10, when we see this, it is caused by a blown fuse or fuses. I would double check all fuses before replacing anything else especially the main engine computer as that would be a last resort.

I would also recommend to check for spark and fuel while cranking to see what the engine is missing causing this no start condition.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. I will be here to help you every step of the way.