Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2010 escape, 2.5L. Needed a head gasket. Now it's all back…

Customer Question
Hey there! 2010...

Hey there! 2010 escape, 2.5L. Needed a head gasket. Now it's all back together, but something is up with the cooling system. We can't seem to get coolant to flow through the block. New thermostat, new waterpump, system is airtight with no holes or cracks. Ever seen this before?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

Had an oil change 3k ago...no signs of overheating until it stalled and spewed white smoke from the exhaust

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. So far we have a new head gasket, a freshly machined head, new thermostat, new pump. Clean hoses and clean oil

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Other than I'm ready to pull my hair out? :)

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
4/2/2018
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 2 months ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

have you had the radiator flow tested?? it could be clogged and not allowing any flow.

is the lower hose sucked shut??

Roy

We can get coolant into the engine, but not out, which is causing it to overheat. Brand new pump
Unfortunately, I'm not with the vehicle right now.

ok sounds like you are going to need to look hard at the radiator. it sounds like it is clogged.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

We bypassed the radiator as a test and it still wouldn't flow through the block

bypassed??? please explain

then the only other thing is a restriction in the block somewhere. what condition was the coolant when taken apart?? did anyone add sealer before you got the job??

Roy

We put a hose on each side the block, filled it with hot water and tried to see if the pump would circulate that water, to no avail. We took it apart again and couldn't find any blockage, the head gasket is brand new, the pump and thermostat is new, and nothing is leaking out. No sealer was added. Fresh coolant is in the entire system. I keep wondering if an air pocket within the block is preventing circulation...

if you removed the thermostat, was there anything??

I do not believe so. It's weird- coolant goes in, some comes out, but not enough to keep it from overheating.

I agree. you have a real head scratcher.

Roy

What do you think, could air in the engine be a factor? Faulty pump perhaps?

air, no, it will get forced through with the pump.

pump, yes. impeller not spinning broke or broken

Roy

any update

any update???

Not just yet, going to check up on it here soon. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks Roy!

your welcome

Roy