Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1996 ford explorer and the headlights dont turn on…

Customer Question
I have a 1996 ford...
I have a 1996 ford explorer and the headlights dont turn on everything else works the blinkers the side lights the taillights everything just not the headlights I've checked all the fuses and everything is good I've changed one of the headlight bulbs and still nothing
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
4/2/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Okay

At the headlamp switch do you have power into it at the dark blue/orange wire and out of the switch red/yellow wire with the headlamp switch turned on?

it has power

Okay, then the next steps is to access the Multi-function switch and see if you have power from the headlamp switch on the red/yellow wire at the multi-function switch. I have enclosed the steps to do the test at the multi-function switch in the link below. Let run these and see if the switch is at fault. Post back with your results and we can work from there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/idyw0u8z9bvf41u/Headlamp%20testing%20Apr%202.pdf?dl=0

See the circuit wiring diagram in this link as well for testing reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dveh2pj5qj8nhhi/Headlamp%20wiring%20Apr%202.pdf?dl=0

I do have power to the multi function switch and headlamp switch

Okay so you have power out of the multi-function switch? Have you checked the fuses, #33, #4 and number #8 in the interior fuse panel? Power from the multi-function switch to the headlamps runs through these fuses.

I checked all the fuses already and none of them are blown out

Okay then let check this, go to these 3 fuses and with the headlamps on , check and see if you have battery voltage in and out of all 3.