Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I lost the instrument cluster, but an Internet search led me…

Customer Question
I lost the instrument...

I lost the instrument cluster, but an Internet search led me to the plug on top of the cluster. Unfortunately I know don't have any turn signals, hazard or brake lights.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Just got the truck two days ago, no idea.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

05 F250 super duty , 4x4 reg cab

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F-250 Super Duty yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the flasher under the dash, looked at the fuses . I can not find a fuse diagram for my truck on-line.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

All the lights were working when I didn't have the guages. Gauges now work but no turn signal, brakes , or emergency flashers.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/31/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 3 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

These had issue in IP panel / cluster software or replacement ?

is the cluster illumination complete gone ?

does it still start and run ?

have you checked all fuses ?

have you checked battery for 12 volts and holding , battery cables loose or corroded ?

tO CHECK IP MODULE You will need a Capable Factory scanner or equivalent to Read the Fault codes in the Modules needed here ,that is done by hooking up the scanner to your vehicle DLC data port connector and based on these faults we can pull up a Pin Point Troubleshoot and be Accurate ,If you do get the Faults Read ,Please post them back here for me and I can Help You Further on it and send you the pin point troubleshoot to perform or the most possible causes for it .

have you tried a simple reset let see if we can wake it up

Master Reset

1-Disconnect Both Battery Cables ,Positive & Negative .

2- Touch Cables With Each Other For 60 Secs ( this will take any residual power in the Harness to Reset the Vehicle Modules )

3- Wait 30 min

4- Close all doors and trunk

5- Reconnect Battery Positive First

6- Use The Key in The Driver Side Door

Lock Cylinder to Lock it & Unlock,IF You have only a Key Fob ,use it to lock and unlock

7- Enter vehicle and Start it .

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Repairing it myself. Checked fuses. Had lights , but no instruments. Wiggled plug on to of the panel and re-gained instruments but lost turn signals, emergency flashers and brake lights. I'M be e already replaced the flasher module under the dash.

That connector , check the pins for any backed out making poor connection, get some CRC Electrical contact cleaner and spray connection and retest ,

the turn signals could be separate here but there is a connection to the ip panel thru the harness ,

they sell new connectors for ip at dealer , start there

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Cleaned that connector, still no brake lights, turn signals of hazards. Also replaced the multifunction switch as well as the brake light switch . Still nothing.

at this time You will need a Capable Factory scanner or equivalent to Read the Fault codes in the Modules needed here ,that is done by hooking up the scanner to your vehicle DLC data port connector and based on these faults we can pull up a Pin Point Troubleshoot and be Accurate ,If you do get the Faults Read ,Please post them back here for me and I can Help You Further on it and send you the pin point troubleshoot to perform or the most possible causes for it .

what engine you have in it .5.4 or dsl

click on link to view wiring circuit ,chreck the 3 fuses I have highlited in yellow ,this for 5.4 liter 4x4 f250 ,let me know if yours is not

it's the 5.4 triton. The fuses you asked about are good. I misplaced my obd2 code reader, but will that work? I know that it had a check engine light on before, but when I unhooked the battery for that 30 minutes it didn't come back. Makes me onder if any codes will show.

unfortunately OBDII is only an Engine code reader, so it can not see the ip to read the faults , you need a ford scanner or equivalent ,so that want want help , check engine light will be engine or emission related ,has nothing to do with ip issue

GO PAY DEALER OR SHOP $100 AND GET IT SCANNED AND BE SURE AND YOU ARE NOT GUESSING THAT WILL BE MY ADVICE ON IT

I CAN TELL YOU THAT IP AND IP CONNECTOR ARE THE MOST COMMON .

IP ? Please elaborate.

IP : INSTRUMENT PANEL , CLUSTER , THE DASH WHERE GAUGES ARE

When I had no working guages , I had turn signals, brake lights etc. now that I have guages working I have no signals , etc. You are saying that it could be 2 different simptums of the same problem? I never would have thought that the instrument cluster would affect the brake lights.

IT CAN ,THESE NEW TRUCKS ALL SYSTEMS ARE CONNECTED THRU CAN BUS LINES , THAT IS WHY SCANNING WILL BE NECESSARY HERE .

AND IF YOU DO HAVE 2 DIFFERENT SYMPTOMS YOU WILL ALSO KNOW , THAT IS ALL I KNOW TO TELL YOU ON IT

you can't help with a schematic? 12V into the volume, 12V out when activated or color codes? Your advice is to take it to a garage and pay to have it fixed? Kinda takes the DYI out of it, as well as cost savings.

At this time I will opt out of your question since I told you all i know to do to be accurate here BUT i will opt out of your question and open for other expert maybe they have what you looking for

good luck with it

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY BACK TO ME SINCE IT WILL LOCK QUESTION BACK TO MY SCREEN AND OTHER EXPERT WANT SEE IT TO ASSIST YOU FURTHER ON THIS .

Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago
eric remington

H​ello I will be glad to assist and provide schematics and we can go over circuits via phone call...Have been a technician for over 35 years

I have currently taken my truck to a mechanic for an exhaust issue. He's supposed to look over the electrical for me as well , but I'm not feeling real confident with that aspect of his services. I had already replaced the multi switch, brake pedal switch and the flasher relay to no avail. I'll get back with you when I physically have my truck back, should the mechanic not be able to narrow it down further. Thanks.
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago

o​k will you be getting it back this week otherwise this post will expire. You can request me personally...and put in another request. I go the full route of diagnostics ..not all experts do...stick with it tell you what to do. If you want me to look at his with you is help you test circuits if you want I can do that with you or if you want a list of possibilities I can do that too. but circuits need to be tested to give accurate diagnosis

Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago

Do you want me to keep this open or we can close it out and you dont owe anything just come back when y9u are ready .. ok?otherwise I can keep it open if you wish

I'm supposed to get it back this week, but I can request you at a later date? If so, go ahead and close it for now. Should I need help in the future I will request you. Thank you so much for responding.
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago

k ill be here