Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have 2002 ford explorer, its making rattling noise when warm…

Customer Question
Have 2002 ford explorer...

Have 2002 ford explorer, its making rattling noise when warm around the front of the engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Hard to tell maybe front timing chain, started yesterday

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took off belt and started engine, so not coming from pullys

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/31/2018
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

Timing chain tentioners and guides on these engines tend to fail at about 110k miles or after.

Usually when they start to rattle it's only a matter of time before it starts misfiring and running funny.

Do you plan to repair it yourself?

Why no rattling when engine is cold

As the engine heats up the oil pressure that holds tension on the timing chain gets thinner and can't hold pressure as well. Also, the chain tends to stretch out and loosen up even more as it heats up. That's why we always recommend replacing the timing chain, tensioners, guides, and cam advance solenoids together at the same time.

Could it be The external tensioners