Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2014 Ford F-150 Super Cab STX 4X4, I can shift from…

Customer Question
I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 Ford F-150 Super Cab STX 4X4, I can shift from 2 to 4 hi and 4 hi back to 2 with no issues at all. However, If I go to low 4 (which it will do fine) It wont go back into 4 hi or 2 without a making all kinds of noise and grinding and so forth. Any idea what this could be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

To be honest I used it all winter with no issues at all, but I never use low 4 until the other day. The noise comes from under the cab area. I am guessing in the transfer case area,, its like it just does not want to disengage (similar noise to what a car makes if you threw it in park with out stopping if you fiddle with it long enough it will eventually go back into*****

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent not tried anything yet, I am going to have a friend do it if its not to major, I just dont want to take it to the dealer and pay a ton of diagnostic fees on top of the fix

Mechanic's Assistant: JustAnswer requires a modest payment. You'll see the amount on the next page. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Okay, how do i pay and how much?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No i think that about covers it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/31/2018
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 3 months ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** noise you are hearing is a normal gear clash noise, there are no syncros in this transfercase, so shifting from 2wd to 4wd, a single lock collar and electric clutch are energized and there is no noise, however when you go from 4wd to 4wdlow, there is a planetary now where a shift fork moves and gear clash happens because the transmission is in neutral and the output shaft starts to spin, when this happens the shift occurs and you get gear clash. It is usually worse when coming out of 4x4 low also, but it will make noise both ways. There is nothing wrong, and nothing is being damaged from this noise.

Thanks is it normal to get a message on the screen that says something to the effect of move forward to engage?

Y​es it can be, how often does this light come on? Is it everytime the shift is made?

If it is everytime the shift is made, there may be a thrust washer that is damaged down by the planetary causing the slow shift and excess grinding noise.

I​ have done 2-3 so its not real common but it can happen.

If you have more questions just ask, all I ask, is you take the time to rate my service today, as this is how I am paid for my time, thanks Scott. You can always ask follow up questions after rating.