Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Do 2017 F-150 Eco 3.5L engines require a catch can to

Customer Question
Do 2017 F-150 Eco...

Do 2017 F-150 Eco 3.5L engines require a catch can to prevent harmful valve stem buildup?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?

7500 miles, No leaks noticed, but have no been under engine yet. Do have up hill flutter. Many hills in my area.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have built engines since 17 years old. Now in my 70 th year, Yes I do most of my own maintance, Have not tried any thing yet. My 2015 2.7L also had the flutter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, I have planned to keep this truck a long time and wish to do what might help prevent any engine damage. Aslo wish to not be passed by any Dogdes.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/30/2018
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 3 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, a catch can? Im not following what you mean by that?

In order to remove oil and harmful deposits form vapors from the PCV system the orginal PCV hose is replaced by a hose placed between the PCV valve and the inlet of an after market Catch Can (oil seperator) then another hose connected to the the out let of the Catch Can to the inlet of the cold intake. Thus reducing harmful build on intake valve stems. There are many of the systems being offered. The Catch Can will have to be cleaned, have collected oil removed, filter replaced, or cleaned, etc, depending on manufacturer,

Oh I understand, that was kind of what I thought you were asking about. It just wasn't a factory feature. It isn't a required item since it is an aftermarket add on. But it is something you can add to the truck if they make a kit to install one. Carbon build up and varnish is a typical by product of the combustion process. Other than an occasional top end clean run through the intake to drop build up, there isn't much more you can do than that

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.