Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Im trying to identify what year and model of a 4X4 chassis I…

Customer Question
Im trying to identify...

Im trying to identify what year and model of a 4X4 chassis I bought from my friends estate sale.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
3/29/2018
Ford Mechanic: billyray80, ASE Master Technician replied 2 months ago
billyray80
billyray80, ASE Master Technician
Are there any kind of tags or numbers on this chassis? If there is a VIN on it I can decode it and tell you what it is. The VIN is the vehicle identification number and should be 17 digits long.
The only number I found is on the cross arm. 1D-C7TA 5019-H
That sounds more like a part number for the cross member. Is this just a chassis with no engine or transmission?
The engine is a 289 but probably not original there is a manual transmission not installed
289 is an older ford engine, probably 70’s at the latest. It will be hard to identify the chassis without any identifying information. I will try to see if I can research the number you gave me and hopefully I can at least come up with an educated guess as to what vehicle it is
Wow, I definitely like what he was doing there, thanks for the picture. That is definitely a Ford, engine and body. The part number you gave me fit a range of fords. It fits a range of late 60’s to 79 4x4 pickups and broncos. Just my best guess I would say it’s likely a bronco but without any specific info I am not positive. I wish I had a more definitive answer.
Maybe I can find some numbers on the transmission or just find out what years had coil springs on the front
The coil springs and most of the front end that I can see is not original. This is definitely a custom vehicle. The only way to give it an exact year is going to be from the frame because the drivetrain is more than likely just what he wanted for his hot rod
I will show the picture to a coworker tomorrow, he is a long time Ford guy and may recognize something from it.
Looks original twin I beam and all Can any of the part numbers be used to back in the posible year or make?
I’m sorry for taking so long. I’ve done some research and unfortunately there is no way to know exactly what year and model your vehicle is without a VIN. I do know that’s not a twin I beam suspension, but that doesn’t mean the frame isn’t from that era of vehicle. Everything that I can see from the picture is completely custom so all the pieces are from several vehicles. I’m sorry I couldn’t give you a better answer. If you happen to find any more info on it I will be glad to see what I can do.