Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Yesterday just before I was goin to go to work, I shifted…

Customer Question
Yesterday just before I...

Yesterday just before I was goin to go to work, I shifted out of first gear and made it into nuetral then It wouldnt shift into anyother gear, I did a little bit of looking into it and the linkage from the stick to the tansmission was connected tot the stick but its seems as though, its not connected to the transmission, I just replaced the brakes and everything else in the car works perfectly its seems like the linkage might be broken I havent really been able to look into it a whole lot more, thats my plan today

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

I havent hanged it when we got the car and Im almost posotive it needs to be changed, I will end up doing it after I get this problem fixed right now the stick shift just swings around freely

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2001 ford escape four cylinder, maunal transmision four wheel drive

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent gotten time to lok at it I had to work last night and just woke up, I hoping to be able to fix it myself soon, if I need an entirley new transmission I might just take it in

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that it seems like the forward and back linkage seems to be completly disconnected

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/29/2018
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Inspect the linkage end at the transmission itself.It should be held onto the transmission shaft with a bolt and nut as shown below.If the bolt has broken and the linkage is not connected or if the linkage is broken then the linkage or bolt will need to be replaced.

Now if the linkage is connected to the shifter and transmission as shown then the fault is in the transmission itself, unfortunately.This can be a fault with the shift fork internally breaking causing this issue here and the transmission will need to be inspected further to then locate which component is at fault and then repaired from there to resolve this fault.This may require removal of the transmission to inspect it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ycdh1wyy3nvxug/st-03-29.png?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I took a deeper look and the linkages are connceted to both the stick and trnny but Im not sure if the linkage is broken or the transmission is im gonn ahve a friend comeover to help soon, thank you for the feedback it was very useful

You're welcome

Have your friend shift the shifter to see if you see the linkage move at the transmission.If it moves then the fault, unfortunately, is in the transmission itself and the transmission will need to be inspected internally.If it does not move then the linkage on the transmission needs to be inspected further to see if anything is broken on the transmission itself needing to be repaired.It will be one of these two here causing this fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete