Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I'm getting a grinding or deep whining noise when I am

Customer Question
I'm getting a grinding...

I'm getting a grinding or deep whining noise when I am decelerating in 4x4A and 4x4H. It doesn't make the noise when in 2x4.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I think maybe the front hubs but not sure. I just noticed it yesterday.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2012 F150 King Ranch 4x4 with 5.0 V8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet. Just driving in 2x4 right now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've seen numerous threads about vacuum leaks, but they all say the grinding is in 2x4 only and goes away in 4x4.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Ford
3/29/2018
Ford Mechanic: 6Bucs, Ford Senior Master replied 26 days ago
6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Hello and thank you for your question. What you describe is usually caused by a vac you supply leak to the front integrated wheel ends. Do you have a hand vacuum pump for testing? Does the vehicle have a suspension lift?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I can get a vacuum pump from the local auto store. I do not have a lift.
Has the suspension been modified?
6Bucs
6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master