Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2011 Xl f150 5.0 4x4. The transmission is "banging"

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a 2011 Xl f150 5.0 4x4.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The transmission is "banging" when shifting. It has 90k miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

In the transmission and it started three days ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It does it when it shifts. The transmission was Serviced hoping it would stop it.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
3/29/2018
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good evening, I hope you are doing well. My name is***** am a ford technician and I would be happy to assist you with this.

Are you noticing the issue in any specific gear change, or does it shift hard every time?

When I accelerate slowly it will not hammer. Also when I let up on the accelerator and allow the truck to shift it will not hammer.

Okay, then it sounds like a pressure issue, and not a clutch/gear issue.

These are pretty common for vallve body issues. Does it have the check engine light currently on?

It periodically comes on then goes off. I read on forums a reset of the computer could help this. Have you experienced positive results by a reset?

A reset could help it if the transmission has accidentally learned the improper shift points. The best way to do that is to perform a master reset, do this by disconnecting the battery terminals and touching positive to negative so that the remaining voltage is drained from the modules in the vehicles. Leave them disconnected for 15mins. After reconnecting take the truck on a 10mile test drive in order to learn the proper shift strategy

Hello, any luck with this?

No it didn’t work. I’m taking it to the mechanic next week.

Okay that will probably be the smartest thing to do to prevent further damage. Let me know if you need any further assistance :)