Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Is there a way to set or measure ignition timing on 1996 f -

Is there a way...

Is there a way to set or measure ignition timing on 1996 f - 150 5.0 L engine?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Getting poor gas mileage after alternator failure and replacement.

3/29/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Any idea why gas mileage id poor after alternator failure?

Do you have a timing light by chance? The way you set base ignition timing, (and it's set to 10 degrees BTDC) is you pull the spout out near the ignition module on the drivers side inner fender, then you will see a mark on the harmonic balancer. I like to put a line of white touch up paint on it so it's easier to see when strobing the timing light, then you clamp the timing light on number 1 spark plug wire. (That is the cylinder closest to the radiator on passenger side) then you let the engine idle, and set the mark on the harmonic balancer to the 10 degree mark on the timing cover. Then tighten the distributor down and plug the spout back in. That's all there is to setting the timing . As far as poor fuel mileage, does it run ok? or does it smoke black?

have timing light, dont see marks on pulley, no smoke

yes, there is a line on it, but it's hard to see sometimes, But it is there. you have to get under the truck, and turn the engine by hand until you see a mark on the harmonic balancer,

I would also like to check the fuel pressure, these run around 30-40 psi, if the regulator is bad, and the fuel pressure is too high, it will use more fuel than it should. Also, is the check engine light on now when driving?

Will take a look for it, ignition timing module is unplugged when checking timing, Thanks for the help.
Check engine light is not on.

Alright, yes, it's just the spout connector that is unplugged, if you unplug the module it won't run, the spout is a little two wire plug over by the ignition module. pull it out, the idle will slow down because base timing is around 10 degrees, total advance by the engine computer is more in the 20-30 range after the spout is plugged in. it looks like this.

Make sure the vacuum line to fuel pressure regulator has good vacuum to it, and the vacuum line isn't damaged anywhere, If all that looks good, It may have an injector leaking some, A fuel pressure test after you turn the key off would tell if fuel pressure bleeds off too fast, that can be a sign of a leaking injector.

It is basically a jumper that you remove to set timing?

Yes, that is correct, That takes the engine computer advance out of the equation.

If you run little better octane gas, I set these on 12 fyi, I think they run better there and not as sluggish, I've got a 302 in a 94 van same set up basically and I pull a small trailer with it. I run it at 12 degrees and 91 octane and it helps some. I geared it 373 though too.

Sometimes difficult to start, similar gas mileage in city and highway, about 15 mpg. Other times it fires right up.

So it is difficult to start after it's been hot and it sits 10 to 15 minutes? does it fire up usually cold better?

If you set it at 12 degrees BTDC, and drive it easy as you can, I think you might get a little better than 15.

i'd say same either way. I had to run on battery for a few days, then battery fail also, but battery ok next morning.
Used to get around 20 mpg combined, less in winter.

I understand, pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator, and make sure there is no raw gas in that vacuum line or any that comes out of the regulator. It may have a sticky injector in it, run some seafoam injector cleaner through the tank. that can help.

You got the alternator/charging issue resolved though correct?

new alternator, i use Lucas fuel treatment all the time, that has helped some fuel issues with switching between tanks.

Alright, Does that help answer all of your question? Or do you have any further questions? thank you.

im good for now, thanks

Alright, If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician