Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2013 ford explorer 3.5. Cold start says engine overheated.

2013 ford explorer 3.5...

2013 ford explorer 3.5. Cold start says engine overheated. Code P1289. Engine runs fine zero problems. Temp gauge does not register when engine is running, but registers with engine off and ignition on. Coolant OK. Could this be caused by coolant temp sensor?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.

The CHT sensor is under the manifold so no. I can't locate the coolant sensor, looked all over the engine and internet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried to fix, yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

For $35 I'd replace the coolant sensor but it's buried somewhere.

3/28/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review your question. If your VIN is available please send it to me.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
1FM5K7B84DGA76387

You are correct in your assumption that the issue is with the CHT sensor. Most likely, either the sensor has failed or one of the wires to the sensor has broken. It will require draining of the engine coolant and removing the intake manifolds to access.

Is this something you are wanting to attempt yourself?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Approx. how many shop hours does removing and replacing the manifold take?

To remove the intake manifolds and replace the sensor is 2.7 labor hours.

I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KomQ1wAqpEQ

This is very possibly your problem. I've seen issues with the CHT wiring as seen in the video. It is for a 2013 Edge with the same engine as your Explorer. It will show you where to look and inspect the wiring. If you find the wiring damaged as in the video it will be wiring. If not, it will require the sensor replacement.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I've had rat problems in the past so I will check the wiring. Can the sensor be replaced if necessary with the manifold in place?

Very doubtful, the sensor is fragile, trying to remove it without full access could result in the sensor breaking off in the head.

If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
One last thing, I've chased codes before so the 1289 is pretty accurate for a CHT problem?

Yes, the code P1289 is a code for the CHT circuit reading higher voltage than expected. Typically this means an open (broken) circuit.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Thank you for the great rating, and for choosing justanswer.com!

Michael
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician