Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I was driving and my start assist unavailable warning sign…

I was driving and...

I was driving and my hill start assist unavailable warning sign came on and then the abs light and the traction control light both came on. The car was still able to move and drove just fine and I turned it off and turned it back on and those lights came on again but car still drove.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Just ABS and traction control ligth

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2013 ford focus se hatchback

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

No have only gotten repaired at dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Had the TCM replaced last year that went out while drive and the power steering module replaced 2 years ago. Both under warranty. It is not under warranty anymore.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

The abs light may just be on due to a wheel speed sensor or vehicle wiring related. You really need to have the ABS module checked for stored codes to get an idea of what could possibly be wrong. Do you have the ability to get the codes checked?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

No i don't have a reader. I guess Id have to take it in to the dealership to get it checked. Can I still drive the car if the ABS module is out?

Yes you can still drive the car. A lot time auto part stores will scan codes for free so you might not have to take to a dealer right away. But if they do, it has to be the ABS module the scan. Not just the engine computer.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Okay and could the ABS module being out also be the reason for the hill start assist unavailable message, as well as the traction control light being on?

Yes. That message will appear because those two systems work together.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Alright well I will go ahead and try to find an auto part store that can read ABS messages and go from there. Thanks for your help!

Your welcome. Please rate this chat with the stars above. And also bookmark this page so you can come back after you get your codes read and I can see what you got.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician