Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

95 f150 5.8 injectors dont fire all the time idles fine win…

Customer Question
95 f150 5.8 injectors...

95 f150 5.8 injectors dont fire all the time idles fine win you give gas all injectors dont fire they loose fire

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starts rite up runs fine until you give it gas then it misfires drop it in gear and it really runs like shit

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

There aint nothing i haveit tryed to long to wright its a book

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
3/28/2018
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Do you have a volt meter? can we monitor the voltage on any RED injector wire while it's running bad? and make sure we have battery voltage there and it's not losing voltage through the PCM relay? Also, what is your fuel pressure when it's running bad? thank you.

11.6v on all injectors we are losing ground fp is 55 psi

Alright that sounds good, The PCM grounds the injectors. Did you try another PCM yet?

Does it lose spark as well? can you pull one plug wire and watch the spark and make sure it's sparking strong and constant? ECM monitors spark from the stator in the distributor and if it lost spark, then it may kill the injectors.

i have about 5 differant ones 3 it runs the same on and two worst

Pull the spout connector out at the ignition module over by the drivers fender well, leave it out and see if runs any better then.

no the same

Alright, try this, take a pair of jumper cables, and on some good clean metal of the body, clamp the jumper cable right to the negative terminal of the battery, and the other end right to the body, make sure the body and the engine are grounded good. I had one of these trucks bite me one time because the grounds had deteriorated and the body wasn't grounded well. run the other cable straight to the engine to the battery cable. try that and let me know if any difference.

tryed that didnt help idles good is win you give it gas that looses ground on three or four injectors its a simple fix but what is it we need to fix

Do you know which number injectors are losing the ground? notice how in the diagram, half of the injectors are grounded by one pin on the ECM and half of them are grounded by another pin, you say 3 or 4 injectors are losing ground so that makes sense, if it's not the pcm, then maybe it's the wiring between those injectors that are losing ground and either pin 58 or 59 on the ECM.

where would 58 & 58 be in the ecm not numbered
58 & 59 location in ecm

So whatever injectors are losing ground, skin the wire back 4 or 5 inches from the PCM from pin 58 or 59, referring to the diagram to see which injector number goes to which pin and run a new wire to the injectors from the PCM. I think that should fix it.

TAN and WHITE are your ground wires at pins 58 and 59.

58 & 59 both had 14.8 v running

turn the key off, and with an ohm meter, see if WHITE from the PCM measures 1 ohm or less to the white wire at half the injectors, then check the brown wire to the other injectors. see if the wire is good.

I'm showing pins 58 and 59 are the injector grounds.

grounded 59 went to skipping it cleared up grounded 58 and it shut off

the PCM just rapid fires the ground to the injectors, pulses the ground. so it's not constantly grounded. it's rapid fire grounded otherwise the injector will hang open and just dump fuel.

noid light fades out win you give it gas

on what injectors does the noid fade? all of them? because injector number 2,3,6,7 are on the WHITE wire ground at ECM pin 59, and 1,4,5,8, are on BROWN wire at ECM pin 58.

If the noid fades, but voltage stays the same, ground is the problem. I say run new wires to the PCM to those pins. on whatever injector the noid fades on. IF you have a good noid on injectors with WHITE and BROWN, then I would run a new wire to the injectors that lose the ground to the ones that are good, the injector grounds are spliced in the harness before they get to the PCM, so the PCM gang fires 4 injectors at a time.

2 3 6 cant check 7 or 8 but 2 3 6 do fade win you give it gas

Alright, so from pin 59 at the ECM, run a new wire to those injectors and I think it will fix it.

working with power probe win ground white wire noid light gets brite and goes to skiping there is no pulse just brite
what pulses the injectors with ground

The PCM pulse grounds the injectors, they are not grounded constantly, the flickering of the noid light is the ECM pulsing the ground. So you can't ground it permanently or the injector will be held open and dump fuel then.

So I'm saying run a new wire from the PCM pin 59 to those injectors and it will probably fix it. as I believe the wire is shorted or open has too much resistance between those injectors and the ECM.

a new wire from were

Take the White wire at pin 59 back from the ECM about 6 inches and cut it, then butt connect or twist it up and solder a new wire and run it to the WHITE wire at all the injectors. Since you've tried multiple PCM's and the noid fades, I think that is what's going on.

Tried your theory didn't work same results. did learn that with the white wire hooked up to just number 2 injector it does the same thing so i have butchered my wiring harness up for nothing can you tell me what pulses the ground on the white wire, we are in the right ball field but in the wrong park. and can you tell me why there would be 14 volts bleeding back through the ground

The engine computer pulses the ground as soon as it see's spark from the stator in the distributor. you will read voltage on the white ground wire from the injector because voltage will go through the windings of the injector and you will have some voltage on the ground side of the injector. I thought for sure the wire was bad since you've tried multiple engine computers. Let me opt out in case another expert has another idea. Thank you.

ive changed the distributor with a new one what else can cause this problem had problem for two years changed wiring harness rebuilt motor when that didnt work bought motor from junk yard still same problem still runs the same help me figure this out got to be simple
Ford Mechanic: 6Bucs, Senior Master Tech replied 5 months ago
6Bucs
6Bucs, Senior Master Tech
Phone call session started
what wire provides ground for the pulse on white wire
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 5 months ago
eric remington

H​ello may I have the vehicle identification number please so I may look up relevant repair data?

1FTEX14H2RKA97878 on the main wiring harness which pin can i hard wire the white and tan wires to, to eliminate a bad connection thank you
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 5 months ago

I​f its an injector driver wire it cant be hard wired.... I can help you but we need a phone call gets involved and time consuming

Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 5 months ago

put in a phone all request and I will walk thru repair

Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 5 months ago

phone call

Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 5 months ago

s​o iniitate phone call service so we can start

tomorrow i will have time what time is good for you
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 5 months ago
I'm east coast...so anytime after 9am
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 5 months ago

If you want phone call you need to initiate that or I can opt out and another expert can help. If you want me to help I can

i dont need to talk i just need a wiring diagram of were the engine harness connects to the main harness if you cant do that then opt out and let someone else help me
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 5 months ago

I TRIED TO OFFER EXTRA SERVICE TO PROVIDE SCHEMATICS FOR AN ADDITIONAL 5 DOLLARS PERHAPS YOU COULD ASK CUSTOMER SERVICE TO PERMIT ME TO PROPOSE THAT SO THAT YOU CAN RECEIVE SCHEMATICS

if i got to go through all that bullshit i will just google it
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 5 months ago

let me know I do subscribe tro my schematic sight pay per use lol