Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1989 f250 oil pressure and water temp guages arent

Customer Question
My 1989 f250 oil...

My 1989 f250 oil pressure and water temp guages arent working. Sender wires and ground have continuity, but don't peg when grounding the terminals. I believe the issue is with the ignition source. I need to know the wiring order from the gauges power terminal to the harness plug on the steering column

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?

I have 47psi at idle using a brand new pressure tester also have new water temp and oil sending units that are correct for my year vehicle

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/28/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

I also removed and tested the actual gauges fir function at the battery terminals

The common problem with both gauge not reading is usually due to these gauges failing. That being said I would remove the cluster and check the power and ground to the cluster assembly, the power feed wire to the cluster is the red/yellow wires at pins #5 and pin #13 at the cluster connector. The ground is the black wire at pin #2. See the wiring diagram in the link below for testing reference. If you find power and ground at the cluster then your gauges are at fault which was pretty common on the 1989 as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvikn3emaek9qwo/cluster%20Mar%2028.pdf?dl=0

I have power to both 5 and 13. I get tone whe. I do. Ontinuity on ground. My oil needle pegs low water stays nust past C votage and fuel wor i did continuity test on both oil and water sender wires all the way to thw gauge and came back good. But when i ground the sender termi alz to block. The gauges fail to peg hig the did when i jumped the directly to the battery

If you have power and ground to the cluster and no wiring issue from the sending units to the cluster then this means your gauges are just bad and need to be replaced.

I have power to both 5 and 13. I get tone whe. I do. Ontinuity on ground. My oil needle pegs low water stays nust past C votage and fuel wor i did continuity test on both oil and water sender wires all the way to thw gauge and came back good. But when i ground the sender termi alz to block. The gauges fail to peg hig the did when i jumped the directly to the battery.

I got that and that means your gauges are bad. If you have power and ground to the cluster and no wiring issue from the sending units to the cluster then this means your gauges are just bad and need to be replaced.

I ha e installed 5 different vauge. Lusters with the same results on each. When i vround thw se der wires to the block, they dont peg like they should but i get tone at the gauge pluds when grou d to body
I mea. Really, 5 i strument clusters all with exact same issues

Ill open this back up for you as I am not understanding you to well. Perhaps someone else will be able to get you what you need.