Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

F-350 I have a diesel that blew at least one piston. So due…

Customer Question
F-350 I have a...
F-350 I have a diesel that blew at least one piston. So due to 6.4 replacement costs, I'd like to replace with a less expensive 5.4 gas so that I can retain some value in the truck. Is this feasible with help from a good engine replacement mechanic?
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Ford
3/28/2018
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 24 days ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Getting the engine in and bolted up would not be the issue, although you have to replace the transmission too as the bellhousing on 5.4 and 6.4 diesel is different. You also will have to change the PCM engine computer. and the PCM will have to be programmed to be used with your exisiting keys. As the entire engine and transmission wiring harness. to make it run correctly with no check engine lights, It can be done, but, I don't know that the costs of the swap is really worth all that work personally. Diesels bring much more than gas trucks do as well. There is a lot to it. I would suspect 30-40 hours labor may be warranted to make the swap. exhaust system will have to be redone as well as the catalytic converters. Does that help answer your question? thank you.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician