Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have the common problem with my explorer of the po775 code…

I have the common...

I have the common problem with my explorer of the po775 code flashing. I know that the solonoid needs replacing. Can I still drive the explorer without replacing the od solonoid and not cause any damage to the rest of the transmission?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

The code is po775 pressure control solonoid B. How do ;you reset it?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Explorer?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just had a friend put it on his scanner

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just wanting to know if I can drive it like it is without doing damage.

3/28/2018
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

P0775 cannot be caused by the solenoid. It is a mechanical failure code for components controlled by the PCB solenoid. Usually caused by failed servo bores in the transmission case. The vehicle can be driven, but depending how bad the bores are worn will result in the loss of second and fifth gears.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Kenny: I need more info. First off what are servo bores? Can they be fixed? Could it be more than one? Is my transmission hooped? If they can be fixed is it quick and easy or is it a major repair that is going to make me poor? One last thing....what causes this to happen?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Right now I am just trying to figure out if I can afford to get this fixed. I will need to take it somewhere and pay a mechanic.

Servo bores are machined holes in the transmission case where the pins for the servos ride. The servos control the bands.

Over time the steel pins wear the aluminum case causing pressure loss to the servos. The only repair is removing and disassembling the transmission, drilling out the bores and installing sleeves. Or transmission replacement. Either repair very costly, possibly exceeding the current value of the vehicle depending on the mileage.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
One last question. This Explorer has only got 123,000klm on it. I purchased it from the original owner just under 2 years ago. Since it has such low mileage on it, is it not strange that this has happened?

I've seen plenty of them fail at that distance, for that failure mileage is not the issue, stop and go lower mileage are just as if not more susceptible to bore wear. Stop and go = more shifting = more wear on the servo bores.

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Hello Kenny its me again. My husband just got home and I need to ask if you are 100% certain about this. No disrespect intended ....just trying to figure out what to do with the explorer. Can you also give me an estimate of what repair or replacement would cost. Thank you.

I have never seen P0775 on Explorers caused by anything other than the servo bores. Average repair cost at the dealer $3000 - $3500. Average cost aftermarket $2500 and up.

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech