Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The radio display says Built Ford Tough and nothing else…

The radio display says...

The radio display says Built Ford Tough and nothing else works, like the radio or the USB below the ash tray.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?

No it is the stock system that came with the truck

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2009 F-150 XLT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't done anything yet. Wanted to see what could be wrong

3/28/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

There is a bulletin released by Ford to have the APIM ( accessory protocol interface control module ) reprogrammed by a Ford dealer to resolve various electrical issues with the radio itself.This fits in with what is occurring here.The dealer will usually charge anywhere from a half hour to an hours labor to do this.The bulletin number is ***** 09-26-8.

Now if the reprogramming does not work then what will have to be done is the radio will need to be checked for fault codes to see what codes are set with a compatible scan tool plugged into your vehicles data port that can read all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done there will be at least one code set that will help to diagnose and locate the component at fault.It can be the APIM itself at fault needing replaced as well.

But in most all cases having the reprogram done will correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician