Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Replaced the starter on our 99 ford v10 yesterday. Engine…

Replaced the starter on our...
Replaced the starter on our 99 ford v10 yesterday. Engine now starts but now makes a rattle sound. Thinking that the starter is not disengaging. Taking the starter back today to make sure it's the correct starter. Are there other issues that could be causing this problem?
3/28/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Was it making this rattling noise before you replaced the starter?

If you get down under the truck at the starter does the noise appear to be coming from the starter area>

It was making a noise intermittently after starting for a few seconds then would stop. Now with the new starter it continues and we didn't leave it running for very long for fear of ruining the new starter. When under the vehicle it does seem like the noise is coming from the starter.

Okay, I would suspect that they either sold you the wrong starter or the starter drive is defective and I would start with removing it and taking it back and have them recheck the part number to be sure its the correct starter and has the right nose on it. While you have it off, also take a look at the teeth on the flywheel to make sure they look okay and show no signs of damage.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
OK that's where we are right now. The dealer is drop shipping a new starter tomorrow and in the mean time I'll check the flywheel for damage.

That is where I would start as well. Thank you as well.