Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2014 Ford Escape (no recall on electrical issues) is

Customer Question
having electrical issues. It says...
My 2014 Ford Escape (no recall on electrical issues) is having electrical issues. It says brake bulb is out. I changed it with a brand new one - and it still says bulb out. When I touch the brake, the light turns on for a moment then turns off. The clock is now only going if the car is on and the turn signals are blinking like crazy when I turn them on. Sometimes the car mysteriously has a drained battery in the morning and I have to jump start it. I checked the fuses that I could find relatedto the brake light - and they seem fine. What can it be? I don’t want to take it to the dealership!
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/28/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Which brake light is not coming on?

Do you own a digital volt meter to do a battery daw test?

Brake light comes on, then turns off within a second. But it’s not the bulb that’s at fault. I think I have a voltmeter but I have to dig it and do the test tomorrow. Can you advise how to test?

Are you referring to one of the 3 brake light on the rear of the vehicle or the brake warning light on the dash for low brake fluid and the parking brake?

Hm. The issue is with the left rear brake light. The one that comes on when I depress the brake in the car. That said, it is also throwing a wArning on my dash - I can’t remember the exact wording but something like “rear brake bulb fault”

We need to do this test for the brake light. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yauqj6xm1ac9881/14bcm.png?dl=0

We need to do this test for the battery draw. https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6dvxt9gvn4lsgv/14draw.pdf?dl=0

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris - thank you for the added info. For rating - it says “finish by rating”. Since I’m not finished, I can’t rate. I will be touch tomorrow after I do the voltimeter test.

Thanks