Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Crazy dashboard lights coming on and off, and now my car…

Customer Question
Crazy dashboard lights coming...

Crazy dashboard lights coming on and off, and now my car won't start unless I bang the dashboard

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes, it seems like a ground issue

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2011 ford escape

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to my mechanic, but he is giving up

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Intermittent issue for a couple of months, effect air conditioner and door locks as well

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/28/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

When it will not start, will it at least crank?

And when it will not start tell me what the instrument cluster is doing?

It will not crank when it does not start. All the lights look normal on instrument cluster when I try to start the car. Here is a link of someone else who I found online that seems to have had the same problem with his escape, although his is a 2008.
http://fordproblem.com/2008-ford-escape-electrical-system-problems-defects/

When it will not crank or start, tell me what the instrument cluster is doing?

Looks like it does when you first start the car in normal operation. All the indicator lights come on.

Do you own a volt meter so we can test a few things?

I do. I am not at my car right now. It's at my mechanic's shop, but he has given up on trying to fix it. It now won't start at all. I probably won't get to the car till friday. I can answer any questions you might have of symptoms I have been experiencing over the last 4-5 months. The starting issue is a recent addition to the symptoms which got me to bring it to my mechanic. I was able to start it by banging on the instrument cluster. Seems like it could be a cold solder joint on the instrument cluster traces, or a ground issue.

Do you want to reply once you have the car so we can do some testing to figure this out?

OK

Thanks

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

My car is in the shop so I can't answer your questions riht now.

Okay