Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Mercury Marauder: Battery died, tried to jump it,

2003 Mercury Marauder: Battery...

2003 Mercury Marauder: Battery died, tried to jump it, didn't battery was needing replacement, replaced it. Once the battery was replaced the car would not shift out of 2nd gear. I have heard that it is possibly a fuse.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

No, I'm not certain what that is (brake switch). I bought the car from 1yr ago, I believe its the original trans.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Marauder yourself? What have you tried so far?

I went through the fuses by the drivers side, now the car won't shift out of park. lol

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Na, thats it, thanks

3/27/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, does it shift 1-2 then hangs in 2nd gear? Did it have any issues before replacing the battery? Any warning lights on or od lamp flashing?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
It shifted fine before changing the battery. No warning lights, when it tries to change above 2nd it just revs, so then I have to shift the gear lever into 2nd to keep it there, I can drive it just fine in 2nd

Ok so it is slipping in neutral, it is trying to upshift. What is the condition of the transmission fluid, is it full and clean or does it smell burnt or black? How many miles are on this transmission?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
once it tries to shift past 2nd, it acts like its in neutral, just revs as I give it gas, then I shift the lever to 2nd, and it drives just fine. I have been told it is possibly a fuse
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
140k, I believe its the original trans. I had ALL the fluids changed when I bought it a year ago, drove just fine after doing so
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
It kept draining the old battery if I let it sit for more than a week or so. So I bought a highend battery for it, drove it home from work where it was parked, I didn't notice anything at that time. Went to drive it again and it started having this problem

Ok since its trying to shift gears and shows no signs of burnt fluid, it sounds like a failure of the direct clutch drum for 3rd gear. These transmissions have a coupe of common mechanical internal failures that cause this. A break in the weld of the direct clutch drum is the most common one. Issues with one of the output shaft seal for the direct clutch or the clutch itself has failed. All of these will require removal of the transmission and an overhaul or transmission replacement.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
ok, I'll take it to a transmission shop and have them double check. Does the car have a transmission control fuse that I could check?

If the fuse was blown it would be in fail safe mode and only have reverse and one forward gear. It would also cause the od lamp to flash. One power source governs the shift solenoids.

Line pressure would be maximum and shift really hard when put in forward or reverse, it would bang hard.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok, Thanks.I appreciate your help

You are welcome. If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Will do, thanks

Thank you!

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans