Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Problem with Starter/solenoid (1 unit?) for 1999 Ford F150…

Customer Question
Problem with Starter/solenoid (1...

Problem with Starter/solenoid (1 unit?) for 1999 Ford F150 XL--dash indicators reflect everything fine with battery, oil, gas, water, but stopped cranking initially and occasional clicks. Assume it is starter/solenoid. Replace same or pay for diagnosis of problem before proceeding?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Under hood (I am still at the wheel trying to start truck) and just started recently, right side, passenger side

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not trying to do myself, just want to know if pay to replace Starter/solenoid unit or pay for diagnosis before proceeding

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thank you

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 3 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

From what you describe it sounds like the starter needs replacing. There is a relay on the firewall as well that could be bad. You can verify that if you have a test light. Do you have a test light?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

Are you still planning to fix your truck? Did you check the relay or starter yet?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!