Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2013 ford flex. yesterday my wife noticed the

Customer Question
I have a 2013...

I have a 2013 ford flex. yesterday my wife noticed the parking break no longer locks down. the ratchet is not working. however, the parking vreak light stays on and beeps. it thinks it is still engaged.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked your brake fluid? The reservoir is located under the hood near the dash.

What can this be? need a new brake assempbly or is there an adjustment that can be done?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Flex yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, i will fix myself if possible. i have not tried anything yet. other than, moving to drive and driving a few feet to see if it would clear the brake beeping. the brake does not feel engaged and is all the way released. if i hit hte brake while driving i can feel the brake engage. this tells me the brake action works. but the ratcheting and the brake light are not.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 5 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Have you tried pulling up on the parking brake pedal to see if the light will go off?

i have not but will when i get home. Can you give me the next things to check with the assumption that does not work?

Really the only other thing to set the brake light on would be low brake fluid. Or, of course a broken or chaffed wire, but that is not too likely. I would check the brake fluid next.

Please also note that you can rate my assistance with the stars above and also bookmark this page so you can come back when you get a chance. Thanks.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

have not had time to test and try the suggested. stay tuned. i will be trying these on friday.thanks
I lifted the pedal and that turned off the light so we can now drive. But tomorrow when my wife is not using the car inneed to test engaging again to see if it is broken.

It could be the pedal or it could be the rear calipers or cables not releasing easily as well.

Take a quick second to rate my assistance with the stars above and also bookmark this page and come back when you have/need more info for me. Thanks.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

i tested the pedal. it appears to lock in place when i engage it but when i release, it gets stuck. I have to go down and pop it with my hand. do i need a new brake pedal or is there a part i can and need to replace?

It still could be the pedal or it could be the rear calipers or cables not releasing easily as well. Disconnect the cables at the calipers and make sure.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!