Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 ford f150 4.2 v6 missfires bad and makes pop noise

3/27/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Is the check engine light coming on?

I have to look. I tried running codes but i could not. I found the fuse for the diagnostic port blown. I will check codes now. Question on an older ford ranger i had a bad miss and it ended up being distributer sensor. Is this an issue with this newer truck also?

It is possible, it's also possible you are hearing it backfire, which could mean something as simple as a bad plug or ignition coil, or something worse like a timing chain issue. I am suspecting there is a misfire caused by a bad coil. If you can get codes, it will tell us which cylinder is the actual issue and then replace just that coil will normally solve the problem. I have seen broken valve springs and stuff on these, but usually it's more of an electrical issue like the coil then the timing chain or valve spring issue.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to earn a 5 star rating from you.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

only code i got was for intake manifold runner is stuck
Will that cause miss?

It can, is it misfiring under load, or at idle?

Under load and in drive

Yes, if the runner is stuck in a certain position and not opening up all the way, it could be causing the problem. Not sure you can get to it very easily, but if you can find the rod for the runner or where its connected, you can try to move the lever on the runner manually to see if it is moving. If it's moving, then you have a problem with the sensor or the actuator and not the runner itself. This will be easier to repair then having to pull the manifold off and either replace it or clean up the runner to get it moving again. If it's got varnish causing it to stick, some good fuel injector cleaner might free it up as well.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Cool let me try that thanks

You are very welcome!

Thank you for the rating!