Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1999 F350 7.3l that will not start. Sprayed a

Customer Question
little starter fluid and still...
I have a 1999 F350 7.3l that will not start. Sprayed a little starter fluid and still wont start. Tried to hook up 3 different code scanners all say no communication. Any ideas?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/27/2018
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 3 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the check engine come on when you turn the key on? does the wait to start light come on?

neither one

ok, this is caused by bad fuse #30, it is a 30 amp fuse, have you checked this fuse yet?

location?

it is fuse 30 in the fuse under the dash

ok replaced fuse. no engine light or glow plug light. I have 8 codes

was the fuse blown?

did you check to see if the new fuse blew again?

it is good

do you have power to that fuse, with the key on?

i do

and now you have communication with the computer?

I have 8 codes

but the check engine light does not come on for 2 seconds, when the key is turned on?

I just got this truck. It ran ok hard to start. I replaced all glowplugs and valve covers. No damage was seen at the connectors so I did not replace them. after 2 days of use it did this. It was still very hard to crank even after glow plug replacement .
NO the glow plug light does not come on and no power to solenoid

I asked if the check engine light comes on for 2 seconds when the key is turned on?

No check engine light either

do you have a test light or a voltmeter?

both

ok, give me a second to bring up the wiring diagrams.Tim

ok

ok, at the glow plug relay, do you have power on the black/orange wire?

I can not find the glow plug relay
there is a glow plug solenoid

yes, that is the relay, do you have power on the black/orange wire, it is one of the large wires?

are you still here

2 solenoids. The back solenoid closest to the firewall has power key on to the Big black/red and both smaller red wires on each of the small post but no power to back large post that has 3 independant wires red, blue, green
this is a new solenoid replaced at the time of glow plugs

that is the starter solenoid, the front one is the glowplug relay, check the black/orange wire tthat solenoid

power on that one also

you replaced the starter solenoid?

both solenoids
one was $18 and the front was $57

ok, at the glow plug solenoid, there should be 2 large studs and 2 small studs, one of the large should have a single black/orange wire, can you check this wire for Power??

it has power key on or off doesn't matter

ok, there is a red wire on one of the small studs, doe it have power with the key on?

did you check the red wire for power?

it has power

ok, on the small stud with the purple/orange wire, does it have a good ground, when you turn the key on?

no its hot

it is not suppose to be hot, it should have a ground, do you know how to check for a ground?

its hot 11.4 volts

ok,then this is the problem, that wires goes directly to the computer to ground the solenoid, you either have a short to power in your computer, or the solenoid is wired wrong, can you remove that wire and see if the wire has power to it, when its not installed on the solenoid?

I have to do it tomorrow. I have to go to work now. i will be back in the morning

ok