Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2013 Escape Titanium. Get frequent engine fault/Service

Customer Question
2013 Escape Titanium. Get...

2013 Escape Titanium. Get frequent engine fault/Service immediately notices on the display panel. Happens when I start the care - very rarely while driving. When this happens the car runs poorly. If I restart the car the notice goes away and the car appears to run ok. Occasionally the check engine light appears immediately after the engine fault is cleared. This has happened since I purchased the car new, but happens much more frequently now, perhaps 10-12 times per week. Tried three dealers, but none can figure it out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

The check engine light? It stays on for a few days and then goes off. Never seen it blink.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. Just taken it to the three Ford dealers.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The dealers all say that if the service fault or check engine light is not visible when they see the car, they have no way to diagnose the problem (apparently, the codes are flushed when the engine fault or check engine light goes away. But even when I have taken it to the dealer with one or the other (or both), they still have not been able to fix the problem.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/27/2018
Ford Mechanic: Frankie Pintado,
 replied 4 months ago
Frankie Pintado

My name is Frankie. I am an ASE Master Technician and Advanced Level Specialist.

First of all, I'm not quick to throw a shop under the bus. If the Dealership told you that the light has to be on to read the codes, they just plain lied to you. There are records in your vehicle's computer of any malfunction that caused a check engine light to come on.

Given that this shop has been unable to fix repair your vehicle 3 times (I hope you aren't paying for diagnosis), and the fact that you just told me that they lied to you, I'd say you should be looking for a new shop and calling any customer service numbers you can find on your receipt. The Ford Motor Company does not want dealerships lying and ripping off customers. They may offer some resolution.

As far as your vehicles running condition, there are 15000 parts on that vehicle and without any information I cannot even guess. On the receipt for your recent service, there should be an diagnostic code, or at least some test that was performed. Any info would be helpful. If you don't have a record of the code then I suggest that you buy an inexpensive scan tool and check the code yourself. They cost about $15 at Walmart and work on any vehicle made after 1996.

Ford Mechanic: Frankie Pintado,
 replied 4 months ago

I'd also like to know what has been done to the vehicle so far.