Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 Ford F150 5.4 engine code read misfire cop G cylinder.

Customer Question
2005 Ford F150 5.4...

2005 Ford F150 5.4 engine code read misfire cop G cylinder. Change plug, changed coil with working cylinder F

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?

Coil. Also cleaned spark plug hole with cleaner to remove any carbon . Still code reads misfire G. Replaced crank sensor, fuel rail sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes with help from local self employed mechanic.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Motor runs acceptable at cold startup for a minute, then bad shaking, rough idle,

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Ford
3/27/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 25 days ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Did the misfire remain on the cylinder #7 when you swapped the coil to cylinder #6?

Have you checked the compression and injector pulse on the misfiring cylinder?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
The misfire remained on cylinder #7 after the coil swap and changing spark plug. have not checked the compression or injector pulse. Mechanic is going to check compression at 10:00 AM this morning.

Okay I would start with having him verify that the compression is within specs on this cylinder and also check to see if the injector is getting the signal from the PCM (computer) and if both check okay, have him swap the #7 injector with a know good working cylinder and see if the misfire moves. If it does then the injector is at fault. There are many reported issues with injector failure on your 2005 F 150 as well so this is likely as well.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Will call after mechanic appointment to check compression at 10:00 AM today

No problem, I'm here all day if you need me. Post back here if needed and we can work from there

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Sorry, got tied up with an emergency.the mechanic checked com. and same was good. Switched coils from working cyl. to G cyl and misfire still occurred in the G cyl.Pulled elec. connection from G cyl. and attached to a spare coil with spark plug. Grounded and same fired with good spark. With listening stephoscope , the fuel injector for G cyl. was only faint sounding compared to other cylinder injectors. Replaced the G cyl. injector, no improvement. Installed new fuel filter also. Also fuel pressure checked at fuel filter was 47. When you start the motor, same runs good for 30 sec, or so, then starts missing. Sometimes you can drive the truck on level road ok with noticeable miss, but starting off up incline will miss bad, stutter, backfire or pop slightly thru air intake. Someone mentioned ECM but same is sending message to the coil as found when we attached a coil/sparkplug to separate test coil where same produced ignition spark. Help needed and appreciated.
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 24 days ago

If its backfiring through the intake then at can mean you have a valve problem, has he ran a compression test on this cylinder and compared it with the other cylinders?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ron, The mechanic asked me to tell you that when he checked the fuel pump pressure by turning on the key one time, the pressure read only 17 lbs.; then again turning key to off and back on the second time the pressure ran up to 47 lbs.
The mechanic checked compression. #1cyl compression 120, #3cyl compression 130, #7cyl compression 122

Fuel pressure should cycle up to full pressure on the first turn of the key and hold steady but I do not think that is what you have going on here. Your compression reading as a concern to me, for a 5.4 engine these reading are very low. Normally on a good 5.4 you will see 150 to 165 PSI.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
ok, what do you suggest ? Two weeks ago when first noticed a miss, the mechanic read a code 300 multiple misfire, 303 cyl. no. 3, 304 cyl. no.4. Possible causes were Crank sensor, fuel rail sensor, filter, coil pack. Replaced crank sensor first. immediately ran worse. Replaced fuel rail sensor; no improvement. replaced all coils, (new plugs were installed appx. 2,000 miles prior) . Code readings changed to the driver's side bank on
F,G,H cylinders misfire. Pullede plugs, changed H cyl. plug. Cleaned carbon deposits with carb.cleaner/swab. Reinstalled plugs, coils. Now clear on cyls. E and H, but unable to clear misfire on G. Purchased a Motorcraft brand crank sensor and changed same out. No change. The engine ran fair but missed now and then before I replaced the first part (crank sensor). no rough idle or popping thru the intake. What do you think? Has it jumped timing? Any suggestions.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ron, Went to pickup my truck. Informed the mechanic what you advised reference to the low compression readings.
the mechanic advised he took the readings with the truck running and the readings would have been higher if he had not.; but still would not have been as high as you advised. just added info. The truck has never given me any problem until now. 150,000 plus miles. Used no oil between changes. Garland.

Well if these where running compression reading then you are within specs. In order for the engine to fire on all cylinders, you need a good spark at the spark plugs, injector pulse at the injector and good compression. One of these has to be dropping out or you would have a good running engine. I think at this point you should seek a different mechanic. It appears that this mechanic is not able to get this resolved for you.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician