Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I rebuilt an 05 6.0 powerstroke, installed it in my 04 f350…

I rebuilt an 05...

I rebuilt an 05 6.0 powerstroke, installed it in my 04 f350 and can't get it to run. It fires off then dies, won't stay running.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Built it myself. tried everything that I can think of.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

3/27/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

What is the ICP pressure while cranking?

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Does the FICM show SYNC when cranking?

Will the injectors complete a good buzz test?

1000 lbs at crank
fuel pressure good
sync is good
injectors rebuilt, 155cc, new nozzles, cycled 1000x each, flowsheets provided
im at work, cant do it over the phone right now.
truck is 8/03 build. Engine is from an 05. original 04 front cover and oil pump installed, bypass valve cleaned. New cam installed, rings, bearings, 04 manifold modified by removing the rear crossover to clear the 05 hpop. IPR cycles and does it's job. Will not stay running on ether?????? New oil cooler. EGR cooler delete. Turbo disassembled, all internals replaced, unison ring and veins cleaned and move freely. Impeller spins freely while engine is cranking.

Have you tried a compression test?

no compression test yet. I had it towed to a shop who has been troubleshooting it. The starter is nearly blown out and needs to be replaced. When I get that done they can move forward with the compression testing.
I know all the bases need to be covered to eliminate all possibilities but what do you think could cause low or no compression in a new engine?

The rings may not be seating or the walls washed down and the oil rings not allowing compression to be made. I mentioned compression testing because you said it will not start on ether.

Your fuel is good, injectors are working, and the high-pressure oil system is up to enough pressure. It should be running.

Now when you put an engine together, it takes a darn long time to get all the air out of the oil and fuel system, but if you have cranked it till the starter has died, it should now be primed well enough.

Maybe adding a tablespoon of oil to each cylinder through the glow plug hole can get this thing to come to life.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Copy that. Thanks for the input. Looks like we need compression info to either put it to rest or find out it's actually the problem.

You are welcome