Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've got a 2012 F250 super duty that for some unknown reason…

I've got a 2012...

I've got a 2012 F250 super duty that for some unknown reason the buttons mode select on the steering no longer is working along with no horn. Fuses are good and no visible wiring under dash being out of place. What else could it be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

I do not have a wiring diagram but did check most fuses. ( The ones I didn't check were ones above 20a)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F-250 Super Duty yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will fix it myself if I've got an idea of what else it could be. But I'm not the kind of idiot who will just start tearing into stuff blindly. The truck is a "company work truck" so I can take it to our service mechanic. I was trying to avoid the down time if it were a short trouble shooting list that I could do myself.

3/27/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

More than likely you are having a failure of the clockspring which is a sliding contact between the steering column and steering wheel. If you would like help diagnosing and repairing this let me know.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician