Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just last Wednesday 2015 F250 superduty diesel 6.7 was in…

Just last Wednesday 2015...

Just last Wednesday 2015 F250 superduty diesel 6.7 was in shop for extended warranty repair on positive crank case and for diagnosis on touch screen that wasn’t working...touch screen has to be replaced ($1000) when we return . picked it up to drive 700 miles to tx... got to San Antonio and developed a brake problem Sunday with a leaking sticking left front caliper that within a few hours caused a major brake overhaul. Inspection showed front left to be a complete failure and right front already leaking but not as significant. Bill was $1300. I previously saw a notice on the web about brake failure and asked at our local dealer. Was told issue was not a recall. Pretty upset about this in a 2 yr old truck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Are you asking me about fuel supply? The dealer did check for the fuel temperature extended warranty issue and the truck did not show that as a problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No we live in FL and came to to for an Air Force graduation. The service here was done by pep boys on Sunday. The other service was done at the dealers in Pensacola FL where the touch screen will be replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can’t think of anything.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

How many miles are on the truck?

I am not sure exactly what question you are asking.

44,000. We had no warning on the brake failure. I saw a brake failure recall on an earlier ford recall and had the truck checked. Is the truck brake problem a recall issue and is the cost reasonable.
We will be on the road trying to get home and the weather is bad so calling may be a problem.
I just pulled the report the Pensacola dealer showed last Wednesday on the brake evaluation. Front brakes pads had 4 mm and back 8 mm. There were no reccomendations. So the caliper failure is what caused this issue.

Can I get your vin# ***** see if there are any recalls for you?

Normally there are no signs of a caliper that is about to fail. They most often fail from warped or tapered rotors, pads worn to thin, excessive brake heat. I have 3 super duty trucks and each of them have gotten over 80k on the brake pads. Your front pads were 1mm away from needing to be replaced. Do you tow a lot? If so you may be braking to hard or not letting the trailer brake enough on its own.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Here are both of the recalls you have that are open, none are brake related.

FSA Title: EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE SENSOR EXTENDED COVERAGE
Field Service Action Number: 15M02

FSA Title: CRANKCASE VENTILATION OIL SEPARATOR ASSEMBLY
Field Service Action Number: 17M04

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician