Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I tried to get my dealer to install the factory class 2

I tried to get...

I tried to get my dealer to install the factory class 2 hitch, but they said they couldn't do it. I can't find anything on replacing the rear bumper cover, or I'd do the install myself. Should I try another dealer, or a body shop?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2014 Escape Titanium. I know the lower lift gate sensor will have to be replaced to make the foot activation work, but the dealer acted like they wanted no part of it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

No, no codes. I just want to add the trailer towing capability without losing functionality.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried to install it myself. I don't know how to replace the bumper cover.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that covers it.

3/27/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned you will receive a system automated call request, that is not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Also I am not paid hourly by just answers, I am only paid when you rate me, so if you could please respect my time and knowledge by rating me when we are finished that would be wonderful. If you could please indicate your level of experience and what you are looking to get out of your session today. Ok lets get started!

OK there are a few ways to go about it, first why are you going with class 2 and not a 3?

No particular reason. Class 2 will cover my towing needs. If the class 3 install is easier, I'll go that route, but I already have the factory class 2 part.

gotcha, so install is simple on those, it does limit your foot sensor use but is still active just slightly relocated, the kit you bought should have come with a cover and instruction to go though the factory plastic bumper cover, if you cant get the ford dealer to do it, you may want to see if truck accessory place or u haul will do it that is more experienced.

I hadn't thought of U-Haul or a truck place. I'll check around. I never bought the full towing kit. I bought the hitch and the wiring harness separately. I'll do the wiring myself. Do you know the part number of the foot activation sensor for use with a hitch? It's different than the non-towing part I think.

its just a relocation of the switch, let me see if I can find the info on that

https://www.etrailer.com/question-81446.html

here it is, its a relocation of the sensor path to be clear, and if you dont want to cut the hole and can return your class 2 the class 3 from curt just hang down a bit as shown in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cv5X08GquE

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks, ***** ***** an Excellent rating!

Thanks for the great rating! Hope you have a wonderful day and feel free to add me to your favorites list for assistance in the future.