Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 ford ranger starts but constantly runs poorly. There is…

Customer Question
2005 ford ranger starts...

2005 ford ranger starts but constantly runs poorly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes. there is no problem with the charging system.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I assumed it was the coil pack. it had a huge crack, so I changed it. changed the spark plugs and wires. It was misfiring at first, du to the coil pack, but kept misfiring after changing it. Cylinder #5. check compression, all within specs. So i replaced the injector and nothing has changed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Changed the TPS!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/26/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

What size engine do you have, please?

it's a 3.0
no phone call.

Phone calls are offered by the site and not by me, we can do this in this post.There is a somewhat common problem with this engine on 2004-2006 Rangers, with exhaust valve seat recession. If the valve seat recedes into the head, the valve does not close all the way when the engine is running, creating a misfire. Ford has updated the cylinder heads for this problem and have released a service bulletin dealing with this as well. If in fact, the valve seat is the problem, this can be verified by doing a running compression test on cylinder #5, and compare the reading to the running compression readings on one or two of the other cylinders. I have also enclosed the service bulletin for your review in the link below as I suspect it going to apply.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vakznj9qlcvt24/Cylinder%20head%20Mar%2026.pdf?dl=0

I have checked the compression on cylinder # 5 and the others. They are all within specs.

They will be with a cranking compression test, you now need to check it by doing a running compression test. To do this, remove the Schrader valve from the compression gauge (from the part that screws into the spark plug hole), install the gauge into the cylinder to be tested, ground the spark plug wire to a good engine ground, and start and run the engine at idle. Monitor the gauge needle. The needle will typically be bouncing so rapidly that it looks like a blur, but note the high side of the bounce, see if it is consistent and compare it to the good cylinders.