Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My ford is experiencing a power loss when starting. It's a

Customer Question

Hello! My ford is experiencing a power loss when starting. It's a no start no crank, then no power, no lights at all. Then the lights will come on again but still no start no crank.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: It definitely fluctuates. Sometimes the lights look bright. After turning the key 3-4 times power just goes to nothing. No door locks, inside lights nothing.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1998 Ford Crown Victoria
JA: Are you fixing your Crown Victoria yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have replaced the starter, battery, alternator, ignition switch, and a relay on the passenger side
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really. I hear people say it may be a bad ground, but not sure.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The check engine light does light up when the key is turned. I read that if it doesn't the PCM is not functioning.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Do you have a digital volt ohm meter so we can get started on testing things?

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris