Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Rodent chewed air change temperature wire causing engine…

Rodent chewed air change...

Rodent chewed air change temperature wire causing engine light to come on. No other wires were effected. What would be the cost and time to repair/replace sensor? It is on a 2017 Ford Escape.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?

No the vehicle did not stall. Just had an engine light come on and the temperature reading for the air conditioning read -31 degrees and would not come on when the weather warmed up. We have had diagnostics with no other issues.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

The dealership is going to fix since it we took it there assuming a warranty issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is it. Just trying to determine cost and amount of time to repair.

3/26/2018
Mastertechuk
Mastertechuk, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin this will vary .the dealer in most cases will want to replace the entire loom but dependent on location it should just be a case of resoldering wires and insulating no more than a couple hundred dollars

They said they will need to remove the front bumper for replace the wire harness for ambient air temperature sensor so I assume replacement versus re-soldering the wires.

Ok i wrongly assumed it was the intake air temp let me find location and il find cost for you

Ok to remove and refit ambient temp sensor is around 2 hours .without seeing damage its impossible to say if loom can be repaired or has to be replaced .the dealer wont repair in most cases .if it is repaired i would expect to pay no more than $4-600

What and where is the loom and how much if it has to be replaced with the sensor?

Do you have vin ?

I would have to find. It is a 2017 Ford Escape SE FWD, 1.4 L Ecboost engine, 6 speed auto transmission with select shift. We just bought it in July 2017.

Ok from my system the loom looks like its part of engine harness and is around $1300 and the sensor is around $100.unless the rodent has eaten the plug i would recommend having this repaired there is no reason to replace entire loom

Is $1300 for the loom itself or labor included? If not replacing the loom I assume it would be the wire and sensor repair only for a total cost of $400 to $600 you previously referenced?

Correct the labour to replace the loom would be on top and would possibly run to an extra $400 ontop of loom price .the price was to repair for 4-600

ok. Thanks

No problem please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

Mastertechuk
Mastertechuk, Auto Mechanic