Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I do have a Ford Explorer 2003 4.8 V 8 Eddie Baue, right…

Customer Question
I do have a...

I do have a Ford Explorer 2003 4.8 V 8 Eddie Baue, right hand drive. I exchanged the interlock solonoid and now noticed that I can not switch from park to drive. I found out that the fuse 23 is broken. I just exchanged the break light switch and the fuse still blows up when I press the break padel. I will now exchange also the wires and connector that goes to the break light switch in hope that solves the problem. Do you have any other suggestions where the problem is. I also noticed that the 4x4 control switch is not working and I already exchanged this together with the transfer case control module. It all started that I noticed that the car can be switched from park to drive without pushing the switch on the gear lever.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

I did not check the break fluid since I do have the car. I bought it 2016 from Japan and had it imported to Nevis. When the car arrived I brought it to a workshop to check the fluids and the guy told me it is ok, but I do not know if he is relyable. I will check the fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I do fix it my self. since the mechanics on this island are not good. Like I wrote before I first exchanged the interlock solonoid, this works now but since the fuse always blows when I do touch the break I measured the resistance in the break light switch and this was broken. I just received the new switch today and just replaced it. I touched the padle and the fuse blew up again. When I replace the switch I did not replace the whole cable with the connector since I thought this is not much likely to break.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
3/26/2018
Ford Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a solution for you.

I always had respect for people who likes to try an fix things themselves, so that being said, I will send a pic of a little inexpensive and easy to use tool you will just love for issues just like this and can use on any vehicle to find shorts , there is a capacitor you put in place of the fuse that blows so you don't waist fuses while your tracing it. The dial gauge you run along the wiring as close as you can, as the needle vibrates faster your getting closer, when it stops your;e passed it so you just back up until it starts again and bang you've found it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.