Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I hear a tapping noise in my dashboard. I first noticed it…

I hear a...

I hear a tapping noise in my dashboard. I first noticed it when I cut on the heater. Now the noise starts every time I start the engine and it lasts for about 10 seconds.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No. This started not long after I had a full service oil change, so my vehicle shouldn't be short on fluids.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Ford?

Ford Fiesta 2016 with a little less than 33 thousand miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fiesta yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything just yet. When the tapping first started, I went on the internet and got the opinions of other Fiesta owners. They seem to think it has to do with the heating/and or cooling system.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Are we talking about major repair with a major cost?

3/26/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

-Does the clicking noise appear to be coming from roughly the center dash?

-Do all of the heat/AC functions work correctly? It changes between heat and AC? And changes output zones?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
the clicking noise does seem to come from the center of the dashboard. Also, when I first purchased the vehicle, I had a backup camera installed. Would that have an effect?

Great! Thank-you! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Can't talk on the phone at this time.

My apologies for the phone call offer. These are force-sent by the website... not me! Please hold... I am typing out my reply...

Thanks for holding!

From what you are describing here, it sounds like this is going to be the case of a faulty Actuator in the heating/AC system. I do not believe the back-up camera played a role here. That work would have been done more towards the front of the dash. The actuators are located more towards the rear. There are a few actuators on this vehicle, so some inspections and testing will need to be done to figure out which is faulty. The actuator itself sell for around $75-$95. Depending on which actuator has the fault will determine the Labor cost. The temp door actuator labor time is 5.7 hours to replace. The zone output actuator is 1.4 hours to replace. And the recirculation actuator is 0.6hr to replace. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
about 8 hours worth of labor at say, $25 dollars per hour on average, plus the cost of parts? So maybe a total cost 0f 350-400 dollars?

Unfortunately, labor rates these days are closer to $85-$125 per hour, with local shops being on the lower end, and Dealers being on the higher end. And there's no need to replace all the actuators if only one is faulty.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
closer to a thousand in labor? wow. Will it harm anything if I don't have the repair done?

Worst case scenario here- $600-$700 for the repair. If the actuator is not replaced, this is not have any adverse affects on the engine or drivetrain of the vehicle at all. It will not compromise the performance or reliability in any way. No problems with leaving it as is. Only drawback here is that "eventually" the actuator will fail. And depending on which one it is, you may niot be able to switch between heat and AC and/or switch air output zones on the dash.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Okay. Thanks. You've been very helpful. 5 Star info. That's all I need. Have a good day.

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Have a great day!

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -