Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1999 Ford expedition and I went out side to start…

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Ford...
I have a 1999 Ford expedition and I went out side to start the other day and it just kept cranking with no start. so I figured it was the fuel pump and I would replace it the next day. when I came home later I sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body and it fired up and cut off. well I kept doing this and eventually it stayed running. I ran it for a while then drove about 15 miles and when I was almost home it bogged down and eventually cut off. I replaced the fuel pump and filter and it is running although now when I give it gas the power completely drops like its not getting fuel. The fuel pressure running is 40 psi and I have no codes. I am stumped.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/26/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Have you checked to see if the exhaust is restricted?

No are you talking about taking exhaust apart?

With no codes and proper fuel pressure then that would be the next thing to check, you can do this by loosing the exhaust at the exhaust manifolds till you have a healthy leak and then take it for a drive and see if the power returns, if it runs better then the catalytic converters are restricted. Give this a try and let me know the results.

I'm going to do this but let me tell you this before I do that. After this thing died on me the only way I could get it to start was to replace the fuel pump. It then `took a while but it fired up and idled fine I only had issues when I would rev it up to about 2500 rpm or I would punch it. well I thought maybe the fuel filter got clogged so I replaced it and ran good for 10min until I decided to drive it. when I got on the road I hit the gas and it acts like it is starving for fuel. If I floor it it will go up to about 2500 rpm and go back to 1000 rpm and stay there. I can hold the gas down and it will just stay at 1000 rpm. If I rev it up from idle it will rev up as far as I want as long as I don't goose it
Wouldn't I be able to tell if the cats are clogged by o2 readings?

You may want to rrconnect your fuel pressure guage and monitor the pressure while the problem is occuring to verify you are holding pressure, you need to see 32 to 45 PSI and it should not drop below 32 PSI. If the pressure is holding when it boggs then go ahead and loosen the exhaust to at least ruel it out. You can not read the HO2S sensor to determine if the exhaust is restricted as well. You need to remove any back pressure if in fact they are restricted. This sure sounds like you are eaither still loosing fuel pressure or the exhaust is restricted.

it shouldn't dip below 32 no matter how high I rev it?

Yes that is correct, it should never drop below 32 PSI if the pump is working properly.

It was dropping below that earlier. I will have to retest it but I think I just killed my starter

If its dropping and your filter is clear then your new pump is defective.

I'm going to test again once I get it to turn over.

Okay I sure would as well. Im here if needed.

Ok I just put a new starter on it this morning and I noticed the vacuum hose on the fuel pressure regulator had a hole in it well I fixed that and the problem still isn't fixed. Just a few minutes ago i checked the fuel pressure and it was on like 18 on the run position and 28 started. I think I have a faulty new fuel pump

I would agree with that, normal fuel pressure should be 32 to 45 PSI and should jump up to 32 PSI on the first turn of the key and hold steady.

I think pressure was prob low the other day but I had the line twisted and it was prob not an accurate reading. Let me ask you this shouldn't fuel pressure change when you rev it up?

Yes, when you rev it up the fuel pressure regulator loses its vacuum normally and the pressure should climb about 5 PSI on a properly working fuel pump. You can get the same effect by removing the vacuum from the regulator at idle and the pressure should jump up about 5 PSI as well.