Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 98 ranger with 3.0 v6 replaced timing chain water…

Customer Question
I have 98 ranger...

I have 98 ranger with 3.0 v6 replaced timing chain water pump and cam synchronizer still throwing code for synchronizer and I have tried adjusting the synchronizer several times with no luck and still has terrible chirping noise and have tried 2 different synchronizer

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

Nope just serviced when I did timing chain

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes did it myself

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/26/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

What brand parts are you using?

Have you done an oil pressure test?

Motor craft parts. No I haven’t done oil pressure test but the gauge on dash reads fine

Are you using the special tool to align the synchro?

Have you used a listening tool to confirm the new synchro is squeaking and not something else?

using the tool and I haven’t used the listening tool only makes the noise after motor gets up to tempature
The truck starts right up and runs ok just has a miss to it

Have you used a scan tool to monitor the CMP signal while idling for a hiccup?

When the squeak occurs if you stop and remove the belt and run the engine a max of 3 minutes, does it still squeak?

I have done all that except for the cmp signal monitor

DId the squeak still occur with the belt off?

Can you monitor the signal?

it still made noise with belt off I do have a scan tool to check the signsl
How would I go about that

While running monitor the PID for the CMP and CKP and compare them.

Will they be listed on scan tool?

They are on every tool I have and use.

I will check this evening

Okay

Is there a easy way to tell if the cam is in time I know it was when I did the timing chain but just curious being the synchronizer Works with the cam

The ways to conform cam timing is correct is by doing the installation procedure of a timing chain replacement. You can also check the compression. Do you need those steps?

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris