Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I can not find the thermostat on my 2013 F150 5.0 eco-boost…

Customer Question
I can not find...

I can not find the thermostat on my 2013 F150 5.0 eco-boost engine. My radiator fan keeps running at high speed and I changed the control module behind the glove box but it still keeps running at high speed and blowing out the coolant. I can't find a coolant leak anywhere and it is not showing up in the exhaust system. I thought maybe if was over pressurizing the recovery reservoir cap and leaking out there. So I thought I might change the thermostat to see if that would help.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

Original hoses. 104,000 miles. No I have not checked the mix. I just keep adding 50/50 pre-mix.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing it myself. I have replaced the control module under the glove box. I have changed the recovery reservoir cap. I pulled the top gooseneck housing off the block thinking the thermostat was located there but it isn't. Don't know where to look for it. I have a new thermostat and o-ring gasket.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is all I have tried. Other than I have to add coolant about every 1000 miles.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/26/2018
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

This does sound like the thermostat is stuck closed or the cooling system is restricted needing to be flushed out.Below in the link is the procedure on how to replace the thermostat as well as its location.

https://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/562414f106474842b5bcabe24bd5aeef#re.v/2415/

If you can run a garden hose through the cooling system when the thermostat is out to remove any debris then install a new thermostat.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

The link did not work. I would like to withdraw the question. I was able to determine where the thermostat is located with some additional on-line research. I also found a leak in the upper radiator hose's molded connection, closest to the engine block.

I apologize as I had sent an incorrect link.I am not sure how that happened.I do have the complete replacement instructions for this thermostat if you want them as I can post it here just let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete