Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 03 ford excursion 6.0 diesel I replaced the HPOP…

I have a 03 ford...
I have a 03 ford excursion 6.0 diesel
I replaced the HPOP and oil cooler.
I rebuilt the turbo and replaced the y-pipe,
There appears to be no exhaust leak.
The turbo whines really loud and has no power.
When I remove the VGT power the noise goes away and motor sounds great. Is this a bad turbo.
3/26/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Based on the repairs you did and the unplugging of the VGT. This narrows it down to the VGT actuator having wire issues, the actuator is operating poorly or the turbo vanes are still sticking.

With the actuator disconnected is it easy to move the vanes? If so then it is not the turbo to blame.

Have you done any electrical tests on the actuator yet?

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Can you explain the electrical test I should conduct. Electrical is not my strength.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician