Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2009 f150 4.6l stx, a month ago it started shaking…

Customer Question
I have a 2009...

I have a 2009 f150 4.6l stx, a month ago it started shaking really bad we changed plugs ,coil packs, egr, manifold gasket, my old manifold had a crack in it so we replaced it, and o2 sensors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

Now it backfires and still sputters

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

We changed two, and no my friend who is a gmc mechanic is helping

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No this is the site ill return to when my mechanic comes by, he knows more than me. is this a 24hr 7days site?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/26/2018
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 1 month ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** the engine feel like it is misfiring? Does it feel like multiple cylinders aren't firing? Has the computer been tested for trouble codes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HI I am Joe I am a mechanic at dodge , I am work on a ford 2009 f150 4.6*****. So far I have replaced the intake manifold on it a tune up new value cover gaskets cause they where leaking and all but like three cops. It still has some back fire to it and a little miss in it . Yes tested it for trouble codes mass air flow sensor popped up so replaced it also. no more engine light on . but still have the miss fire and back fire in it some. could the cops be bad or stopped up.

Do you have access to a scan tool that shows power balance? Or possibly a temp gun to check exhaust temps to see which cylinders are misfiring?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I don't here at the house

I am wondering if there is a cat convertor plugged on one bank, you could either do a exhaust back pressure test, or drop the exhaust down and see if it runs any better.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I do not here at the house everything is at work. I replaced all the up and down steam o2 senors also
the right cat stays hot as hell left one goes cold quick can touch it but not the right one

If you had a misfiring cylinder the cat could have been damaged and now is plugged. We see this from time to time, they will pop and backfire run like no power.

I bet that left cat is plugged then, you could remove that front o2 sensor and start it up and if it blows out real hard there, that's a good indication it is plugged.

S​ometimes just removing the 02 sensor, they will run better.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know the right side on the passagers side was hot as hell took for ever to cool down when i replaced the senors on that side was still hot to the touch and that s the passangers side

Y​ou may have to check both sides, I thought the left since it wasn't as hot, meaning nothing flowing through it to cause the catalyst reaction and generate the heat.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will it run with out the o2 senors in them period or can it be bypassed somehow

Yes it will run long enough for testing to see if it breathes better, just not too *****, *****'t want a fire, lol.

I​ would just unscrew the sensors and leave the wiring hooked up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the down stream ones right not up stream
cause the one on the on the passnagres side was hell to get to damn lol

T​he ones closest to the exhaust manifolds. Before the cats.

Or drop the exhaust down from the manifolds.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh gees the pain in the asss ones ok number ones the upstream ok

Yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
say if so and one is bad is it better too replace one conveter or both
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am almost for sure thats the proablem to
but it didnt read on the scan tool the other day we had just a shit load of codes that have been fixed now

We will replace on at a time, usually just the one that has failed, they are expensive.

One at a time that should read.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
yea i know
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what do i listen for to see which one is bad
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you

I​f you get the sensors out, the plugged side will sound like a jet engine since there is no place for the exhaust to go except out the o2 hole which is small, so it will be rushing pretty good if plugged.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That should be fun lol getting it unbolted isnt a problem getting it out is hell

I would remove the easy 02 first and see if it runs better, then remove the other next is it doesn't.

Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician