Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 23 Foot Gulf Steam RV fuel system type

Customer's question: What type of fuel system is in my RV. Return or returnless? Does it use a REM module?

Mechanic's answer: Went over the differences and how to identify what fuel system the RV has and how to test the fuel pump circuit.

Read full interaction below »

I have 2001 23' Gulf Stream Class C. I have factory manual on DVD. Years of experience. The manual show 3 possible configuration. Return line, Mechanical Returnless or Electronic Returnless.I think I have return. I cannot find anything that looks like FPDM. Manual say it is built into REM. I can't find that either. Pump produces normal pressures when it runs. Relay appears to be OK. Swapped it out. Voltage at 2 pins of relay. No voltage at fuel pump itself, key on.Toggling key off and on many time will usually get it to work. Grounds are good at fuel pump connector.
3/26/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, if it is a return system it will have a return line. Do you have the 17 digit vin number? I might be able to tell you what system it has.

1FDXE45S31HA23854

Ok im pretty sure this should be a return system. If it was an electronic returnless system it will have a fuel rail pressure sensor on the passenger side fuel rail. It runs at 30 psi. Returnless systems run at a high pressure. Pull out the dog house, you will see where the fuel lines connect to the fuel rail on the drivers side of the engine. if there are two lines, its a return system.

Mechanical Returnless Fuel System

The fuel system consists of a fuel tank with reservoir, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, fuel supply line, fuel rail, fuel rail pulse damper, fuel injectors, and schrader/pressure test point. Operation of the system is as follows (Figure 62):

1. The fuel delivery system is enabled during crank or running mode once the PCM receives a crankshaft position (CKP) sensor signal.
  1. The fuel pump logic is defined in the fuel system control strategy and is executed by the PCM.
  1. The PCM grounds the fuel pump relay, which provides VPWR to the fuel pump.
  1. The inertia fuel shut-off (IFS) switch is used to de-energize the fuel delivery secondary circuit in the event of collision. The IFS switch is a safety device that should only be reset after a thorough inspection of the vehicle (following a collision).
  1. A pressure test point valve (schrader valve) is located on the fuel rail. This is used to measure fuel injector supply pressure for diagnostic procedures and repairs. ON VEHICLES NOT EQUIPPED WITH A SCHRADER VALVE, USE ROTUNDA FUEL PRESSURE TEST KIT #134—R0087 OR EQUIVALENT.
  1. Located on the fuel rail is a pulse damper. The pulse damper reduces fuel system noise caused by the pulsing of the fuel injectors. The vacuum port located on the damper is connected to manifold vacuum to avoid fuel spillage in the event the pulse damper diaphragm were to rupture (the pulse damper should not be confused with a fuel pressure regulator).
  1. The fuel injector is a solenoid-operated valve that meters the fuel flow to each combustion cylinder. The fuel injector is opened and closed a constant number of times per crankshaft revolution. The amount of fuel is controlled by the length of time the fuel injector is held open. The injector is normally closed and is operated by 12 volt VPWR from the power relay. The ground signal is controlled by the PCM.
  1. There are three filtering or screening devices in the fuel delivery system. The intake sock is a fine, nylon mesh screen mounted on the intake side of the fuel pump. There is a fuel filter screen located at the fuel rail side of the fuel injector. The fuel filter assembly is located between the fuel pump and the pressure test point/schrader valve.
  1. The fuel pump (FP) module contains the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and the fuel sender assembly. The fuel pressure regulator is attached to the fuel pump in the fuel pump module located in the fuel tank. It regulates fuel pressure supplied to the fuel injectors. The fuel pressure regulator is a diaphragm-operated relief valve. Fuel pressure is established by a spring preload applied to the diaphragm. Excess fuel is bypassed through the regulator and returned to the fuel tank.

Fuel System—Mechanical Returnless

Electronic Returnless Fuel System

The fuel system consists of a fuel tank with reservoir, fuel pump, fuel rail pressure sensor, fuel filter, fuel supply line, engine fuel temperature sensor, fuel rail, fuel injectors, and schrader/pressure test point. Operation of the system is as follows (Figure 63) and (Figure 64):

1. The PCM commands a duty cycle to the fuel pump driver module (FPDM).
  1. The fuel pump driver module modulates the voltage to the fuel pump (FP) to achieve the proper fuel pressure. Voltage for the fuel pump is supplied by the power relay or FPDM power supply relay. (For additional information on FPDM operation, refer to PCM Outputs—Fuel Pump and PCM Inputs—FPM.)
  1. The fuel rail pressure (FRP) sensor provides the PCM with the current fuel rail pressure. The PCM uses this information to vary the duty cycle output to the FPDM to compensate for varying loads.
  1. The engine fuel temperature (EFT) sensor measures current fuel temperatures in the fuel rail. This information is used to vary the fuel pressure and avoid fuel system vaporization.
  1. The fuel pump (FP) module is a device that contains the fuel pump and the fuel sender assembly. The fuel pump is located inside the reservoir and supplies fuel through the fuel pump module manifold to the engine and the fuel pump module jet pump.
  1. The inertia fuel shut-off (IFS) switch is used to de-energize the fuel delivery secondary circuit in the event of a collision. The IFS switch is a safety device that should only be reset after a thorough inspection of the vehicle (following a collision).
It was running at 30 lbs when running, 38 pounds with vac off regulator. Switch on before starting 20 lbs. If return which I think it is where is FPDM or REM located? Cannot find on side rail. Looked from tank to engine compartment. Or is it just controlled by Relay? Or straight for inertia switch?

What kind of problem are you trying to fix?

These are the items in the fuel system for this model year being a cut away van/rv.

As stated in original post. No start, relay OK, no 12V at pump connector with key on. Factory diagrams show FPDM in between. Manuals says on certain models FPDM is part of Rear Electronic Module. I can't find either.

It does not use a FPDM or a REM module, 30 psi is the running spec and 40 with the fuel pressure regulator disconnected. It didnt say anything in your question about a no start just what kind of system you had. Part of it probably got cut off in your description. The fuel pump is controlled by a fuel pump relay which is powered by the eec power relay in the under hood fuse panel. the PCM controls the ground circuit for these relays. The fuel pump is only energized for a few seconds when the key is cycled to the on position.

Here is the circuit.

May have left out the no start. My bad. Another post referenced the Inertia Cutoff switch as being behind pass. kick panel. Is that in the loop. Just so I understand. So if I pull the connector at the pump and turn key on, I should get 12v to pump for a few seconds. Then the circuit is open? Should I have ground continuity from pump connector to relay? When would 12v reappear at pump?
I am trying to confirm pump is bad or not before dropping tank.

That is correct on the power supply to the fuel pump. eec power relay to fuel pump relay. To inertia switch to the fuel pump. You can also remove the fuel pump relay and jump across it to energize the fuel pump all the time. The circuit shows most of that current flow. Only have continuity to ground on the ground wire of the fuel pump circuit. You will have continuity to the relay from the pump unless the inertia switch has popped up and an open circuit.

I will check it out in the AM. Thanks for your patience and help. I think the factory manual caused more confusion than help. Have a good evening. Thanks again, Gerry

Not a problem, the vin helped a lot. If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Thank you!

Just a follow up. My problem turned out to be the fuel pump just as I initially expected. However, a strange quirk caused me to do more work than needed. I installed the pump, universal type into the pick up assembly, no problems. Reinstalled tank. No go. Tank was about 1/8 full, I thought that might be below pickup. Went and got 3 gallons, added i, no go. At this point I thought maybe I had made mistake in installing the pump. So I bench tested the old pump to see if it worked. It did not. I rechecked all wiring and had juice to pump connector. So, I dropped the tank again to double check my install. Pump was spinning ok. Plugged old pump into wiring harness. Dead as doornail. Measured depth of tank and length of pickup. Pickup was setting on bottom of tank. So I filled coffee can with gas, had someone hold pickup in can, turned on key. Sucked it dry immediately. Reinstalled tank, took off and ran like supposed to. Conclusion, pump wanted to be submerged to prime itself. Very strange. Thanks again for your help.

Very good, yes you would think it would pick it up through the filter sock and be good to go. Thank you for the update! Glad I was able to help!