Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1994 Ford Ranger 2.3L The truck is stumbling of idle and…

1994 Ford Ranger 2.3L The...
1994 Ford Ranger 2.3L The truck is stumbling of idle and slow to pick up speed
does not miss at idle on under acceleration
trouble code 172,223, 224, 452
3/25/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, have you made any repairs for this concern? It has a surging up and down idle but drives ok down the road?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
no repairs made
it idles smooth it just stumbles a lil at acceleration and slowly picks up speed once its up to speed it maintains
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
if i brake torque it it stumbles like a failing plug

Ok yes it sounds like an ignition issue. 223 is a loss of dual spark control, 172 is running rich possibly due to a misfire. 224 Powertrain control module detected coil 1, 2, 3 or 4 primary circuit failure. 452 is a vehicle speed sensor code but shouldnt relate to this concern. Since you have codes for the primary circuit of the ignition coils, I would look and inspect the wiring to the coils to make sure they are intact and replace the coils, wires and plugs to start. Clear the codes and see if the concern continues. See if it sets any of the same codes. The coils do fail and can crack over time.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
replace both coils

yes replace both.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
ok

At the same time if the ignition wires are old replace the wires and take a look at the spark plugs and replace if worn. if you need more help or information please let me know. if I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Thank you!

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans