Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We are looking @ a 2007 F 150 - has a tap - looking around…

We are looking @...

We are looking @ a 2007 F 150 - has a tap - looking around to see if maybe the cam phasers

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I really dont have much to go on - just seeing its a common problem and maybe shouldnt buy it

3/25/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review your question. If your VIN is available please send it to me.

Is your engine the 5.4L 3V?

Does this sound like a tap in the top of the engine?

1FTPW14V37KB31544
I am not sure on the 3 v
The sound is stronger in the driver front side - and the tapping accelerates as you press the gas
does not matter if cold or hot
in any gear - same tapping
142,000 miles
I just want to see if maybe I shouldnt buy this vehicle - I cant try and fix - so the chat is fine

At this point I'd be concerned about purchasing this truck. It sounds as if the engine may have a seized cam follower. It's fairly common. If this has happened it's highly likely that the camshaft is damaged. This would require significant engine work, and cost, to repair if my guess is correct.

darn! yea we dont like how it sounds and just looking around on the web , it looks like there have been many problems with this motor - Thank You

If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel as though you can't rate my service five stars please let me know.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician