Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Was driving about 65mph let off the gas made a right hand…

Customer Question
Was driving about 65mph...

Was driving about 65mph let off the gas made a right hand turn. It started to run rough no power then it died. Will not start. Just replaced driver side vvt phaser. Got it home cranked engine no fire at all. 2006 f150 5.4 liter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

No power at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing my self. Was going to check fuel pressure but can't . Nowhere to connect fuel gage.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
3/25/2018
Ford Mechanic: Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician replied 2 months ago
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review your question. If your VIN is available please send it to me.

Do you have a voltmeter and the ability to use it?

Vin # 1ftpw14586fa14372

Great, me can do our own fuel pressure test by checking the voltage at the fuel rail pressure sensor.

On the driver's side fuel rail you will find the fuel rail pressure sensor. Back probe the connector with the key on and measure the fuel pressure signal wire. Pin 1 (orange wire with the light green stripe). Set your meter on DC Voltage and place your red lead on the orange wire with the light green stripe and the black lead on ground. With the key on what voltage do you get?

edit: We can do our own fuel pressure test..

4volts
5.06 volts

Did you have the connector still connected to the sensor?

No.
2.81 volts

Key on fuel pressure should be 2.8 - 3.4 volts. That's at the the low end of normal. Can you watch the voltage while cranking the engine to make sure the pressure is stable?

Also, when cranking does the engine seem to sound normal?

4.6 volts . Sounds normal cranking

do you have a scantool that can check for codes?

Are there any codes stored in the engine computer?
Can your scan tool read live data?
No codes. Erased them but they were p0300 and p0305 after the motor stopped. Replaced # 5 coil. Never used live data on my scanner so I don't know if it has it

It seems you have good fuel pressure, and don't have codes for the throttle body. Without access to live data I'm not sure if I can be of much more help. I'm going to open this up for other experts. Hopefully one of them will have an idea.

Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Can you pull a coil pack, and using a spark tester verify you have spark when cranking? Also, if you don't have a spark tester, try spraying some starting fluid in the engine an seeing if it will run for a couple of seconds when you spray it.

I'll try tomorrow. Its bedtime for me.

Alright, let us know what happens. Thank you.

Your welcome.
Alright I'm back. Checked for spark ,have spark on #5.

Alright, If you have spark, see if you have injector pulse with a noid light next. I believe by your test you have fuel pressure, although I may pull the fuel line off the fuel rail and get a bucket and turn the key on to visually check that it has a good stream since there is no schrader valve to check pressure with. See if you can make it run on starting fluid too is a good test. if you can make it run or hit for a few seconds on starting fluid then we know we are missing fuel pressure or injector pulse most likely.

Alright I'm back. Sorry it took so long . I still have a fulltime job. I checked with my new noid light set on the driver side I have pulse on that side. Did the starting fluid and it did try to start. Doing to make a part to check fuel pressure at the fuel filter.

Alright, take the gas cap off, and if you can, get somebody to just turn the key on, see if you hear the fuel pump buzz for about two seconds. it only runs for about two-three seconds with the key on cycle. If you don't hear it, see if you have power at the inertia switch (fuel pump safety switch) in the right front kick panel area.