Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2002 ford taurus se v6 ohv is having starting issues when…

Customer Question
My 2002 ford taurus...

My 2002 ford taurus se v6 ohv is having starting issues when warmed up. What should I do?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 3 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

When it is warmed up or reached operating temperature, is the engine problem a crank no start or a no crank?

A crank no start and operating temperature

Can you give me the VIN# ***** I can look up the proper information and manuals for your 2002 Taurus?

It also died the other day when i was sitting in it and it was just idling

IFAFP53UX2GI846I0
Sorry the vin is 1FAFP53UX2G184610

Ok. from the sounds f your problem and looking at the information I have, the problem is your fuel pump. It is, after all, an electrical motor, and when they heat up, they can fail electrically and mechanically. Then when they cool down, the y work fine till they reach operating temperature.

You can test this b checking the fuel injector fuel rail test port just to the drivers side of the engine near the intake manifold. Press the needle valve down and check for fuel pressure when it stalls and will not start.

Is that the only thing it could be?

This is the most common problem. That is why I ask you to do the test first to verify that there is no fuel pressure. I like to verify before any repairs are made.

Do the test and reply back to me when you get the results. You can reply back on this page.

i did what you said I drove it till it was at operating temp and then I turned it off and tried to turn it back on and it didnt turn over so i checked the fuel rail test port and it had good fuel pressure

Thank you. That eliminates the fuel pump as the problem. Now, we need to see if you have spark at the spark plugs.

When it will not start, turn the key to on and see if the check engine light comes on in the instrument cluster and try starting the engine see if the check engine light goes out while the engine is cranking over.

I had an oil change and a tune up about 3 days ago after this problem started

Anything is possible. But I like to verify the cause.

It does stay on but i also have a small evap system leak but thats cause by a pin hole i have in the hose going to the vaopr canister

Inspect the crankshaft position sensor on the front of the engine by the crankshaft pulley. The light should go out when the engine is cranking. If the PCM (Engine Computer) sees and RZPM signal from the crankshaft sensor, the light will go out while cranking.

Its plugged in and seems okay but i dont have an multimeter or something to check the sensor with

Take a spark plug out and connect it back to the plug wire and place the spark plug on a good clean metal ground. The crank the engine and see if you get a bright blue/white spark.

DO NOT HOLD THE SPARK PLUG OR YOU WILL GET ZAPPED!!!

Okay it sparked

Does the engine start?

It does most of the time but it didn't when i took the spark plug out

Do you have a test light or digital multi meter to do a few electrical tests?
Also, do you have access to a code reader or scan tool?

I have a code reader and i have scanned my car earlier and it only has the one p0400 small evap leak code and nothing else

That will not cause a no start.

what's next? Is it the crankshaft sensor or something else?

No, if you got spark, it is good. I need you to check for power to an injector and a pulsed ground while the engine is cranking over.

How can I do that without a multimeter or test light and i dont have a stethoscope to check an injector

You will need one of those. Otherwise, we are just guessing.

You have fuel pressure and you have spark.

Not trouble codes to show a no start.

The only thing left is the injectors.

Okay I'll get them replaced or check them in my mechanics class

Check for power to them with the key on and a pulsed ground while cranking. Do not just replace them. Also, use a mechanical fuel pressure gauge to check the actual fuel pressure. Should be 35-45 psi.